Northern California Babies
Options

Postpartum - What to buy?

Pads - What brand/kind/amount did you buy? 

Nursing Bras - What brand did you buy?  How did you know what size to get?

Nursing Pads - What brand/style did you like?  How many should I buy to get started?

Clothes - Did you find any specific clothes were nice to have right after birth?  Was there anything that made nursing easier?

Baby Items - Is there anything you found really useful with a newborn that I may not have?

Thanks!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Postpartum - What to buy?

• Options

Pads - I love Lansinoh.

Bras - I have several of the Victoria's Secret...not sure if they still sell them anymore.  I LOVE my nursing sleep bras from Mimi Maternity.  Super comfy.

Clothes - I lived in lots of comfy yoga pants, capris and nursing tanks (great for covering up the belly but easy access to nurse in).  I have like 6 and could use more. 

Make sure you have good swaddling blankets, something to make white noise (humidifier, AM radio), nursing pillow.

• Options

Pads - What brand/kind/amount did you buy?  I used my regular pads from Always.

Nursing Bras - What brand did you buy?  How did you know what size to get? They rec going at 36 weeks pg and buy a cup up.  I bought mine at Motherhood Maternity and Target

Nursing Pads - What brand/style did you like?  How many should I buy to get started? I don't know what brand I had, I bought the washable ones because I seemed to go through them a lot.  I also bought a mesh bag to throw them in the laundry so I wouldn't lose them. 

Clothes - Did you find any specific clothes were nice to have right after birth?  Was there anything that made nursing easier? I had a winter baby but my criteria for sleep clothes were buttons so that I didn't have to lift my shirt for bfing at night.  I guess for summer/warm weather, nursing tanks.  (I never used them.)

Baby Items - Is there anything you found really useful with a newborn that I may not have? Noise machine or crib music as background for newborn, the Happiest Baby on the Block came in very helpful.  Swaddling stuff, pacifier.  That's about it that I could think of.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Pads- the hospital sent me home with some mega ones and I wore those for a while.  Then I used Always Light (long ones with wings) and then just pantyliners.  **Take home the water bottle they give you - I used mine for a while.

Bras - I have not found a single one I liked that offered good support (cheap or expensive).  You can get fitted.  I did at Lullaby Lane in San Bruno.  My favorite ones actually were from Target, the Gilligan & O'Malley brand.

Nursing Pads - any brand works for me, but I've heard some are better depending on how much you leak. 

Clothes - I wore lounge pants from Target with tanks, tees and hoodies, unless I went out.

Get some lanolin cream. 

• Options

Pads- the hospital sent me home with some mega ones and I wore those, then just regular always ones. **Take home the water bottle they give you - I used mine for a while.** - I second this!!

Bras - I have been living in nurseing tanks, the target brand and the Bravato ones, I love my target brand ones!!

Nursing Pads - I use the washables, much more comfortable.

Clothes - pretty much just my yoga pants, and nursing tanks and long T's before I was able to get back to my pre-preg clothes, I still live in my nursing tanks..

oh and do get the nipple cream, life saver in the early days of nursing

• Options

Pads ~ I took tons from the hospital so I barely used any that I bought.

Nursing Bras ~ I lived in Target nursing tanks & never wore the bras I thought I had to have.

Nursing Pads ~ Lansinoh. ?Tried and hated others

Clothes ~ Elastic waist lounge pants & nursing tanks that can be layered with a hoodie or cardigan.

Baby Items ~ Tiny Love Symphony In Motion crib mobile, nursing cover (like Hooter Hider), Ergo or other comfy baby carrier

• Options
    Pads - Always Overnighthttps://www.always.com/products/detail/ap2_11 Nursing Bras - I started with the nursing tanks from Target. Clothes - Did you find any specific clothes were nice to have right after birth?  Was there anything that made nursing easier? I  wore the Nursing tanks from Target with maternity sweats/pants. I also had a couple of nursing tops from the Nurture Center. Baby Stuff- pacifiers, nursing pillow (I used boppy) swaddle blankets, Crib music, we put her in a swing, lanolin This swing  to be exact https://www.amazon.com/Graco-SnugGlider-Swing-SnugRide-Infant/dp/B000M4K4BY 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Pads - What brand/kind/amount did you buy? ? You'll laugh, but I found Depends to be MUCH more comfortable. ?Menstrual pads bunched up on my right on my stitches. ?Get a ton of whatever you get!!Nursing Bras - What brand did you buy?? How did you know what size to get? ?I started with Medela sleep bras (they come in S-M-L-XL) then went shopping once my milk was in and I had a better idea. ?These days I live in the Bravado Bodysilk ones.Nursing Pads - What brand/style did you like?? How many should I buy to get started? ?I like the LilyPadz and have 2 pairs; one for day and one for night.Clothes - Did you find any specific clothes were nice to have right after birth?? Was there anything that made nursing easier? ?I second yoga pants and other knit pants, and nursing tanks. ?You can always layer a cardigan.Baby Items - Is there anything you found really useful with a newborn that I may not have? ?Random, but I love my rechargable, portable nightlight (Spoka from IKEA). ?I've used that a ton for nighttime feedings etc since day 1 and I think it helps tell T that it's nighttime and he should go back to sleep after he eats.
  • Options

Pads - I've been using Always overnight maxis with wings...I started out with the HUGE diaper-sized ones and have been gradually downsizing. They're much comfier than the hospital ones IMO and more absorbent.

Nursing Bras - I got a couple nursing tanks (Target) and a couple sleep nursing bras (Medela) to start out with, and then got fitted for real nursing bras when my milk came in. If it's any help, I went up a whole cup size.

Nursing Pads - I like the washable cotton Medela contoured ones...get lots because you'll go through them!

Clothes - Ditto tanks and hoodies for nursing...that's practically been my daily uniform. I only use the nursing tanks at night because I hate wearing a shelf bra during the day. For bottoms I've been wearing yoga pants and my demi-panel maternity pants from early in my pg.

Baby Items - Ditto Happiest Baby on the Block dvd (we checked it out from the library). If you don't already have one, you might want a swing - Kyva spends almost all of her naps in hers. We also love our mini co-sleeper and sleep positioner for nighttime. And lots and lots of cotton diapers for burp rags (I bought 2 dozen).
  • Options
    Oh and I'll add...big ol' granny panties. I got a 5 pack of regular old Hanes Her Way cotton briefs - the kind that come up to your belly button. So comfy!
  • Options
    I would definitely get the nipple cream. I would also purchase the gel soothie pads for sore nipples. Those gel soothie pads were the only way I was able to continue nursing. Lifesavers!!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageZoeMay06:
    Oh and I'll add...big ol' granny panties. I got a 5 pack of regular old Hanes Her Way cotton briefs - the kind that come up to your belly button. So comfy!

OMG!  DItto the granny panties.  They saved my life when I realized my giant pad was wider than any of my underwear... that is after I stopped wearing the super sexy mesh hospital underwear of course. :)

• Options

LOVED the new Always Infinity pads- when I ran out of hospital pads I wore them and they were great!! Never wore the big ol' uncomfortable overnights...

The hospital lactation consultants will give you tiny sample sizes of Lasinoh cream- I think if you can get your hands on a couple you don't really need to buy any as they will last you a long time. You may want to buy some gel soothie pads for your nipples though as they are complete heaven in the first few days.

Otherwise, the pps have listed everything I would have mentioned : )

• Options
    OMG I forgot to add Dermablast! I loved that stuff..went through 2 cans in 3 wks.
  • Options

imagem&m818:
    OMG I forgot to add Dermablast! I loved that stuff..went through 2 cans in 3 wks.

Ditto! 

• Options
    imageMrs.Wright07:

imagem&m818:

Ditto! 

Double ditto! And speaking of that general area, I forgot to mention Tucks pads...and a sitz bath.

• Options

If you haven't purchased nipple cream yet, i have some you can have, the lansinoh and medela kind. It just made my nipples burn, i preffered the soothie gel pads.

aden and anais for swaddeling

And ditto everyone elses stuff!!

• Options

imageZoeMay06:

Ditto! I don't have a lot of time, so I'll got straight to the TMI must-haves in my experience.

Undies like Zoe mentioned that will likely get wrecked (stained) and thrown away after healing. Super absorbent pads or diaper-style kind like emerald mentioned are great. Also make sure you have hemorrhoid pads (like Tucks) on hand. The vaginal tear hurt a little, but holy butt pain, Batman. Accept the stuff they offer you in the hospital... extra pain relief spray, lotion, pads, mesh undies, etc. I took the sitz bath home with me and am so glad I did. 

• Options
    imageZoeMay06:
    imageMrs.Wright07:

imagem&m818:

Ditto! 

Double ditto! And speaking of that general area, I forgot to mention Tucks pads...and a sitz bath.

Oops! You ladies beat me to it. Oh and yeah, DERMABLAST! That's the spray I mentioned. Awesome stuff.

I just remember that time as worrying about pain relief (breast and down below) and keeping baby fed. There wasn't much product the baby needed in the very very early days. I think I was thanking the inventors of the Soothie pacifier and my glider and that's about it. Oh and the My Brestfriend. Love that stupid thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"