Preemies
Options

Got some great news today!

I posted over a year ago that L was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. At the time the doctors weren't sure if it was transient hypothroxinemia of prematurity (which he would outgrow) or congenital hypothyroidism, which he wouldn't outgrow.

Well, since properly balanced thyroid hormones are vital to brain development, he's been taking synthetic thyroid hormone pretty much since he came home from the NICU. It is a total pain in the @ass, because it comes in pills and cannot be put in a liquid suspension. But the worst part about this whole thyroid thing is the poor guy has to get his blood drawn every 3 months, and he's reached the age where he knows what's about to happen every time we go to the lab, and he screams and cries until he throws up - several times. And he's so tiny that they always have trouble finding a good vein... it's horrible. It's taken over 5 pokes on more than one occasion... then when it's all over I have to push the double stroller out of the lab one-handed while holding a purple, screaming baby with the other arm, and people ALWAYS get in my way and gawk at us on the way out. I HATE it. HATE it. Why the eff do people think it's okay to stop us just to stare at our freak show when my baby is purple from screaming? It makes me so angry just to think about it.

Anyway, the good news: L had an appointment w/his endocrinologist today, and the doctor said something amazing. "He probably doesn't need the medicine." His weight has more than quintupled since he started taking the medicine, and he's never needed his dose increased. Unfortunately, he'll be on it for 2 more years before we try to stop it because if he does need the medicine, his brain development could be seriously harmed. But, it's wonderful news!! Oh man oh man, this is fantastic!!

Re: Got some great news today!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"