Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Nanny question

I'm pondering the idea of hiring a college student to nanny this summer. The idea is that I will save money on childcare...seems a little backwards I know, but hear me out here.

I had one girl respond to my CL ad who is a college student and has a 17 month old daughter. I only need someone 2.5 days a week. If you got to bring your child to work with you, would you likely accept less pay because you're saving a significant amount in your own childcare or am I being unfair?

Going by the numbers, if you were an 18-20 year old college student looking for a summer job would you babysit for $100/week if you got to bring your own child or am I way lowballing?

FWIW, this is a LCOL area.

Re: Nanny question

• How many hours in those 2.5 days? ?If it is 8 hours a day x 2.5 days that is 20 hours. 100 is low at only $5/hr ?I would go $8-10/hr if you can. ? But this is exactly the setup I am looking for this summer.?
  • For only 2.5 days? ?I think that sounds GREAT! ?But I could be wrong.
  • Loading the player...
  • Is this for 5 full days?  If so, LCOL or not, I think that's really low.  Even if she brings her child. 

We recently hired a new nanny but in the process of weeding through everyone, there was a woman who responded and wanted to bring her 18 month old.  She was asking for $80/day - under the table.

• Nevermind, I totally skimmed over the fact that you said 2.5 days. 

Is this 8 hours a day?  If so, we're talking roughly 20 hours - so it's $5/hour.  That still seems low to me.  My 15 year old makes more than that when she babysits.

• It would be about 20 hours I think - maybe less b/c DH's hours usually get cut in the summer. 

• imageLovetheMarriedLife:

It would be about 20 hours I think - maybe less b/c DH's hours usually get cut in the summer.?

?you and she will sign a contract of sorts guaranteeing her at least 20 hours pay per week for the duration of the contract. ? right?

• I just paid one of my VERY good friends $100 for the DAY to stay with Charlie. She brought her 7 m/o. I was gone for about 10 hours, and I gave her a little extra b/c she is my gf :o)

It can't hurt to at least see what that ad will bring you.   I low balled on a college website and got 50 responses. No joke. The economy is crazy right now. You might be surprised at the great girl you find.

• image*KatieH*:
    imageLovetheMarriedLife:

It would be about 20 hours I think - maybe less b/c DH's hours usually get cut in the summer. 

you and she will sign a contract of sorts guaranteeing her at least 20 hours pay per week for the duration of the contract.   right?

If she will do it for $100-120 a week, I would give her that regardless of what hours we need her. I think that would be much easier for us and more reassuring for her than to try to add up hours. 

• image*blondiem*:

I just paid one of my VERY good friends $100 for the DAY to stay with Charlie. She brought her 7 m/o. I was gone for about 10 hours, and I gave her a little extra b/c she is my gf :o)

It can't hurt to at least see what that ad will bring you.   I low balled on a college website and got 50 responses. No joke. The economy is crazy right now. You might be surprised at the great girl you find.

See, if it were a regular babysitter, even a HS student, I would pay $10/hour because I would want them to make some cash and hopefully want to come back...for some reason with something like this where the hours are guaranteed every week I feel like less is acceptable. But maybe I'm off base. 

• We are having a mom watch our daughter during the summer when we need it for $100/day so it does seem low for 2.5 days to me.

• Do you think its fair though to offer less to someone who wants to bring their own kid or should all candidates be offered the same? Just curious, I genuinely don't know.
  • MrsHKMrsHK member

imageLovetheMarriedLife:
    Do you think its fair though to offer less to someone who wants to bring their own kid or should all candidates be offered the same? Just curious, I genuinely don't know.

I would think you should expect to pay all candidates the same scale depending on experience. I can see your reasoning, one might take a lower pay in exchange for better benefits. However, I think this situation is a little different. 

I nanny for a family, I choose to nanny because I can keep DS with me. (Of course I also really enjoy the job) It's something I expect from my employer. If that's not workable then the situation isn't workable for me. I wouldn't expect to be paid less because of this. I'm still doing my job. I'd consider it a fringe benefit of the career path I am in, not a benefit I'd be 'paying' for. KWIM?

However, if you're worried the candidate won't be able to provide the amount of attentiveness to your DC because she has hers there as well I'd recommend passing on the candidate as a whole. Doesn't sound like that's a concern though.

Proverbs 12:10 "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals ChipMonkey 3/19/08 *** Turtle 1/26/10 *** CarBear 10/06/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"