Washington Babies

Has anyone ever tried "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day?"

https://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Training-Less-Than-Day/dp/0671693808/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I was chatting with a mom and she told me she used this method with both of her kids (boy and girl) and they were both trained within a day or so. She told me the basic rules of this are putting them on the toilet every 15 minutes, tons of liquids all day, no pants, just underwear and a shirt...no other siblings around for that day and setting a timer...and BEING consistent, and pull-ups for nap time too.

She said its pretty hardcore but for her, it worked. I'd love to get Jacob on the potty as soon as possible and he pees whenever we put him on...she told me most kids know how to do it really early (18 months+)

I guess it's also kind of controversial too (Babywise-like) b/c they have to pee/poo each time to "train" their body. She said her and her son had a few battles in where he was literally screaming b/c he wanted to get off the toilet but he hadnt gone yet... :(
Im curious to see if any of you have tried it or know someone that has and if it worked or not

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Has anyone ever tried "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day?"

• LoL That's how my mom trained me!  And lots of salty foods so they drink more. :)
  • I think a mom I know did this. Her son was 18 months old. I don't think she did it in a day, but she did do it in a week. She basically stocked up the house and didn't leave until he was potty trained.
  • Loading the player...
  • Good idea about the salty food! lol

Yes, I have heard its that intense that you want to make sure you dont have to go anywhere!
  • It's not something that would feel right to me.   We've talked about potty training in our toddler class, and the way you described that method pretty much goes against everything we learned in our toddler class about how potty training is successful.  No forcing them, no fighting with them, no punishment, no power struggles.

Ben also pees on the ptty every time he sits on it, but that doesn't mean he's ready for potty training yet.  He doesn't tell me before he goes.  he's not at the level of awareness yet to know that he's about to go.  He knows when he's going,or after he's gone, but he's not ready for real potty training yet.

My friends IRL who have waited until their kids are ready were able to potty train easily in a few days just because the child was ready, not because they "made them" do it.  If that makes sense.

• I don't think I could do it that way. I was a really sensitive little girl and ended up developing a severe stuttering problem when my parents were trying to potty train me. They stopped trying, and I immediately stopped stuttering. !!! So I think I'll probably lean towards a more gentle approach. :)
  • My daughter is potty trained and it took about 2-3 days for her to get the hang of it. She was use to using the potty already so one day I just decided to go for it.

I would be worried about the safety of this meathod...water intoxication. Not worth it to me.  

Mama to Z - 5.5 years, G - 3.5 years, & M - 1.5 years.
  • My sister did it and it worked.  I don't think that DS knows he has to pee yet but he definately knows when he has to poo.  I think the point of having them on the toilet every 15 minutes until they pee is so they feel what it's like and they begin to take notice to what goes on when they potty.  I don't think we'll go to the extent of not leaving the house till he's potty trained but we will probably use a modified version of this method at 2 YO. 
    BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • I use the principles in the book ALL the time...  it is a well researched, empirically based program that was developed to train incontinent children with significant mental retardation...  I use this all the time with children with autism.... that said, I plan on following a more developmentally appropriate sequence for Gabe and Audrey when they reach that point...  and if we need to, will go the "potty boot camp" route....

but yep...  potty training is something I do all the time... and very successfully!

• Beth, what do you do?  Nanny?  Work in a home for mentally disabled kids?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"