Northern California Babies

hey, you photography type folk!

I currently have a P&S that I want to replace because it's a POS. :P It's virtually impossible to take the kind of photos I want of my kid -- even when we're out and about, the amount of time it takes to do its think is RIDICULOUS. I have a fairly large amount of experience with non-digital SLRs but this would be my first digital SLR.

I am trying to spend below $1k, and a friend has given me the option of buying his Canon 20D (he has between 21K and 25K on it) for $300. I was going to get the 17-85 lens on top of that for about 20% off, bringing the total to around $660, but then a coworker said, "Why don't you get the Rebel XSi instead?"

I know the 20D is a few years old, but I was wondering your take. I don't think that with a new Rebel I'd be able to afford the different lens and would probably use the 18-55.

What are your opinions between the two?

Re: hey, you photography type folk!

• I love my Canon Rebel xti, I got it in 2007. If I wanted to upgrade now I would go to a 5D and that is WAY out of price range  at the moment. All that said I never blow my pictures up that huge, but I think I can go up to a 18x20 or something life size like that. I personally would get the cheaper SLR and then a more expensive lens, but I think the lens makes most of the difference. I am not sure the difference between the xti vs. the xsi is going to be that great just starting out.

I have a 50 mm f/1.8 that was $80.00 for the canon and it is a GREAT lens. (got it on Amazon)

I took these pictures with it.

https://babydadventure.blogspot.com/2008/05/bath-time.html

• The Rebel xsi is great, even with the kit lens. My BIL got it and his shots looked awesome. You can always find good ones, gently used on Craigslist. Try B&H photo, they have fair prices and great customer service.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"