North Carolina Babies

Is a robe really necessary?

I keep reading these lists of things to pack in a hospital bag and they all say a robe. I don't really wear robes in general but am assuming this is for more coverage when you are walking around during labor and/or getting up to go to the bathroom when company is around? Did you wear one and if so, was it just a lightweight terry cloth kind?
image Aiden Jude is on his way! Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Is a robe really necessary?

• I wore a light weight cotton robe that went with a short nursing gown I got as as a gift. I also wore loose top and bottom pants PJs. Basically the second day I changed out of the hospital gown and into the gown and robe I bought. They want you to get up and walk the halls (at least after a a c-section they do). Also, it can be a little chilly, and you have people (hospital workers) in and out of your room ALL day and night, so I found it good to have. Also, don't bring anything you are too attached to, because you will bleed a lot. I didn't get blood on anything (of mine), but just be aware.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't normally wear them either and I didn't take one.  When I walked around outside my room (I would circle the floor a time or two just to get out of bed) they put a second hospital gown on me and had it open in the front.

Baby J is here! Born on her mama's birthday.

11 pounds, 7 ounces and 23" long at birth!

My Bio

• Loading the player...
  • After the baby you'll need to get up and get walking to prevent clots.  This is the only time I used mine.
  • I don't wear robes, and no, I didn't bring one. I really didn't leave my room much, honestly. I wore a hospital gown the first day, then just wore loose fitting t-shirts and PJ pants for the rest of the time I was there.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Personally I went and bought one to bring to the hospital yet I never wore it.  I had the epi during labor, so I never went to the bathroom and then it was never a big deal to get up and go to the bathroom in the post part. room.  Also, some people may have worn it if they walked the halls, which I never did....
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not a robe person either, but I was really happy to have one!

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• imageQCBride06:
    Personally I went and bought one to bring to the hospital yet I never wore it.  I had the epi during labor, so I never went to the bathroom and then it was never a big deal to get up and go to the bathroom in the post part. room.  Also, some people may have worn it if they walked the halls, which I never did....

Ditto exactly! :)  I bought one and brought it, and didn't use it.  If you don't think you'll use it, then I wouldn't bring one - save yourself some room in your bag!

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No need for one unless you normally wear one.  I didnt use one, didnt see the need....things like socks too...I mean they gave me socks while I was there...they were FUGLY but they were socks that I didnt have to wash when I got home.  I personally think the less you take the better....less to bring home.  I saw a lady leaving the hospital when I did and she had 2 carts FULL of stuff, and Im not talking about flowers. 

My one must have that wasnt on anyones list that I ever saw...a disposable razor...for real my hair was out of control fast growing when I was pregnant and so when I had him when I took my shower I wanted to shave my armpits because I was wearing a tank top...they dont have razors at the hospital....because....you know...mental patients....I asked a nurse for one and she practically laughed at me.  She told me, "Girl, we dont have razors, there are mental patients in this hospital!" (I wasnt on the maternity wing because there were so many babies born the same night).  I asked DH to bring me one when he went to check on the dog, he kept forgetting.  I didnt shave my armpits until I got home...not happy!

• I had one but was so hot I couldn't wear it.  I usually just put another hospital gown on backwards so my backside was covered.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"