North Carolina Babies

How much crying is normal?

Before its considered colic?

I am still trying to figure out a pattern with Jocelyn. She is fine at her middle of the night feeding, her morning feeding, and sometimes afternoon feeding. Then she will cry in the late afternoon, and always from about 7-9 she will cry. We feed her at around 9 or 10 and she takes a good hour to fall asleep. She doesn't SCREAM, she just cries and fusses and will be fine if we hold her, but I don't want to get into that routine. I noticed she for sure screams like crazy when she is hungry, and more of a wimpy cry when she is tired. This is so HARD.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How much crying is normal?

• My Dr said that most babies cry (for no real "reason") for 1-4 hours a day. Holly is great all day usually, but is fussy (and sometimes inconsolable) btwn 6 and 10... that's why we're experimenting with an earlier bedtime now. :-)

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• It's called the witching hour.  Alot of babies are fussy like that in the evenings.  It does suck, but it's completely normal.  I did hold him alot during that time, I don't think it hurt.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • That's what we called Katie Fussy Time. I'm pretty sure it's normal.

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• imagemrsmikey:
    It's called the witching hour.? Alot of babies are fussy like that in the evenings.? It does suck, but it's completely normal.? I did hold him alot during that time, I don't think it hurt.

Yup, sounds like she's crying during the typical witching hour. ?Natalie did the same thing. ?I did a lot (A LOT!!) of swaying, rocking, cuddling her during that time when she was younger. ?The minute I'd put her down, she'd start fussing/crying again. ?I think she did for that for about 2-3 months.?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ditto previous posters.  Ben did that too.  Hang in there...
  • imagemrsmikey:
    It's called the witching hour.  Alot of babies are fussy like that in the evenings.  It does suck, but it's completely normal.  I did hold him alot during that time, I don't think it hurt.

Yep ditto.  Liam had to be held, rocked, etc constantly when he was a newborn.  Have you read "Happiest Baby on the Block"?  The "Five S's" saved us countless hours of crying once we mastered them!  It really helped to calm him.  Go ahead and rock her now, you can't spoil her yet :)

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • thats exactly how Jack was too...and even still at like 4 months hed be fussy at nite but refused to go to bed till like 11pm for a span of time cuz he would take a snooze for a bit and then think it was playtime. he's doing good now with giong to bed around 8:30-9ish
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My DD had colic and the crying was from about 5PM - 12AM, so it was a LONG time and nothing really made it better for more than 5 minutes. ?We were seriously rotating the "fun cycle" of dryer, stairs, bouncy seat, rock, swing, hairdryer, vacuum hours after hours because each would only work for 5 minutes.

It is a hard time, but I think what you described is in line with the norm. ?Just try your best to soothe her, but know sometimes they just need to get it out. ?Ours lasted from about one month to three months.?

• I think colic is supposed to be based on the 3's...at least 3 hours a day, at least 3 days a week and at least 3 weeks.

It's so frustrating, isn't it? Hang in there, it does get better!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"