Infertility

Poll: Ever served on a jury?

I haven't. One time when I was supposed to serve, the court was closed because of snow. The other time, I went down to the court and watched the little video about how great jury duty was, but the lawyers were able to reach a settlement at the last minute, so they ended up not needing any jurors.

And in case you're wondering, the inspiration for this poll is that one of my sources had jury duty yesterday (I'm a journalist).

Re: Poll: Ever served on a jury?

• Yep.    I have.   while I was in college and home for summer break.    I was even voted Foreman.   :-)    It was just a one-day trial, but I consider it one of the most interesting experiences of my life.
    Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have served 2x.

Once was a crimial jury.  The defendant was being accused of aggrivated robbery, which in this case was robbery of a person older than 62.  Apparently an elderly gentlemen had dimentia and used to talk to the neighbors about when he got his pension check every month.  On the day he recieved it the local neighborhood thugs would show up, take him to the liquor store to cash it, buy him a bottle and then steal all of his money.  One night the neighbors saw the thugs rough the older man up and called the police. 

What complicated it was that the elderly gentleman was killed in his home the same night that he was robbed.  I'm guessing they couldn't pin the murder on the thugs so they pinned them with aggrivated robbery  instead.

We threw this human piece of garbage in the slammer for the minim 35 year sentence (3rd strike).  I would have put him away for more but the judge made the ruling on it.

It was terrible for me because we had to see autopsy photos, etc.  It is probably the closest i'll ever be to a murder trial...i couldn't serve on one of those because i live in TX and I oppose the death penalty.

TTC since 2008
    dx MFI March 2009, low motility and low morph
    dx Stage I/II endometriosis September 2009.
    Multiple failed clomid, injecitble and IUI cycles
    IVF #1 Janaury 2011: 28 retrieved, 22 fert normally
    5dt of two beautiful blasts (6 frozen)
    BFP 2/10/2011 (holy cow!!!)
    1st u/s 2/24: 2 gestational sacs, it's twins! Only 1 heartbeat, Baby A, 110 BPM
    2nd u/s 2/28: 2 heartbeats! It's twins!
    3rd u/s 3/7: Lost Baby B :-( Baby A looking good.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    We will always love you Baby B.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagePittTexan:

I have served 2x.

Once was a crimial jury.  The defendant was being accused of aggrivated robbery, which in this case was robbery of a person older than 62.  Apparently an elderly gentlemen had dimentia and used to talk to the neighbors about when he got his pension check every month.  On the day he recieved it the local neighborhood thugs would show up, take him to the liquor store to cash it, buy him a bottle and then steal all of his money.  One night the neighbors saw the thugs rough the older man up and called the police. 

What complicated it was that the elderly gentleman was killed in his home the same night that he was robbed.  I'm guessing they couldn't pin the murder on the thugs so they pinned them with aggrivated robbery  instead.

We threw this human piece of garbage in the slammer for the minim 35 year sentence (3rd strike).  I would have put him away for more but the judge made the ruling on it.

It was terrible for me because we had to see autopsy photos, etc.  It is probably the closest i'll ever be to a murder trial...i couldn't serve on one of those because i live in TX and I oppose the death penalty.

That's just awful. That poor old man!

• It was incredibly sad.

Where was this mans' family???  He had a son...why didn't he help?  The neighbors testified that you could smell the house from the street it was so bad.  The old man's wife had died a few years before..he was sick...it just broke my heart that he was all alone.

When we convicted him he got very upset and started yelling and had to be removed from the courtroom.  Afterwards the judge told us that they had been trying to put him away for over a year, but could not find anyone in the neighborhood that would testify against him because they were scared.

That p*ssed me off.  It just made me SO MAD that people like this are out there terrorizing neighborhoods and helpless individuals. 

From then on, unless it is a municipal hearing, i always try to get out of jury duty.  I don't lie during the voire dire, but i make sure i talk.  a LOT.  Lawers don't want people who are opinionated on a jury...harder to sway the votes.  I also talk about being an engineer a lot...most of them don't like engineers on the jury!

TTC since 2008
    dx MFI March 2009, low motility and low morph
    dx Stage I/II endometriosis September 2009.
    Multiple failed clomid, injecitble and IUI cycles
    IVF #1 Janaury 2011: 28 retrieved, 22 fert normally
    5dt of two beautiful blasts (6 frozen)
    BFP 2/10/2011 (holy cow!!!)
    1st u/s 2/24: 2 gestational sacs, it's twins! Only 1 heartbeat, Baby A, 110 BPM
    2nd u/s 2/28: 2 heartbeats! It's twins!
    3rd u/s 3/7: Lost Baby B :-( Baby A looking good.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    We will always love you Baby B.
  • I've served on Grand Jury Duty.  It was actually really interesting.  Tons of cases where all we decide is whether there is enough evidence for an indictment and for the case to go to trial.
    DX: Him: Super sperm Me: Diminished pituitary function due to tumor removed April 2008, MTHFR Hetero C677T & A1298C
    IVF #1-4=BFN IVF #5=BFP! U/S on 5/3 revealed TWINS!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Yep.  The trial went on all week and when we went in to deliberate, he decided to plead guilty.  It was very interesting.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was summoned for duty but not selected.  I don't know if I'll ever be selected because my uncle was murdered when I was 18, and I stated on my form that I could not be impartial if I was on a murder trial. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was on a one day civil case a few years ago and it was really interesting.  I loved being on the jury but doubt that I will ever get on one again, they rarely allow attorneys to be on juries and I am a criminal defense attorney so I know I'll NEVER get to be on a criminal jury.  Its too bad because I think I could be impartial and I think I'd be a good juror :)
  • Yes, and it was a blast. Cool judge, great people.
  • i have been summoned 4 times in the 9 years i have been eligible to vote.  most other people i know have never been called.

i've never been selected though.  and i only had to go sit at the courthouse one of those 4 times for 2 days.  but they had wireless internet...sweet. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I got called up 2 yrs ago. I was picked for alot of cases but was able to get out of all but one of them. It was an interesting case and we had an answer in under an hr.

Would I do it again? Sure.

• Never been called and will likely never get to serve.  I would love to be on one though!  Even though I have been both prosecutor and defense attorney, as well general civil attorney, I doubt anyone would risk it with me.  I have put attorneys on my juries (2 or 3 of my 10 jury trials I've tried) but they were both civil guys.  Sorry I wouldn't put a defense attorney on any of my juries either, if I ever did them again!
  • Yes, I have about 5 years ago.  The trial lasted 1 week.  I was called a 2nd time, but did not serve on that jury.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"