Infertility
Options

Flare protocol?

Hey ladies. Just wanted to see if any of you have done the flare protocol and how you responded. My first IVF was antagonist protocol and I actually started out slow, but ended up responding well, so I'm surprised they switched my protocol this time around. Dr. Google said that flare protocols are usually used for poor responders or ladies with high FSH level, neither of which I have. Anyway, any knowledge you can share with me would be appreciated. Thanks!

Baby Girl #1 Gabriella Jane Image and video hosting by TinyPicPregnancy Ticker

Re: Flare protocol?

• Options
    I am curious too as antagonist is not working out for me that well...
  • Options

I'm just now on BCP, but I'll be on the microdose flare protocol. Are you taking Dexamethasone too? My RE told me that the microdoses of Lupron plus the Dexamethasone are both supposed to trigger better egg quality. Maybe that is why your RE is having you do this protocol, or maybe he/she just wants you to produce more eggs so that there will be better quality embryos from which to choose.

In my case, I have diminished ovarian reserve and only one normally functioning ovary, so this protocol is being used to try to get the best response out of my left ovary. The microdoses of Lupron in conjunction with superovulatory drugs cause a "flare" of FSH to occur, creating more and better-quality eggs.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have any answers for you, but I am also doing the MDL protocol this month.  This is my first IVF and I don't have high FSH.  I don't have the highest AFC out there, but its still within normal range (5-6 on each ovary).  We're unexplained so I'm guessing my RE just wants to get the best quality eggs he can out of me, since he's not expecting a whole lot.
    IVF #1 = BFP on 5/2009
    FET #1 = BFP on 5/2011
  • Options

I did the flare protocol with my IVF.  Originally the antagonist was suggested but then my RE changed his mind because I have a low antral follicle count and borderline high FSH.  I can't say that I had a great response; I had 7 eggs retrieved, 6 of which were mature and 5 of which fertilized, but I did get pregnant so in  my mind that is all that matters.

Perhaps your doc thinks that the extra burst of FSH that happens with the flare protocol will help you to respond faster and better. 

I hope this protocol will be a successful one for you.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"