Adoption

Private/Independent 'Advertising'

For those planning to private/independently adopt without use of an agency or attorney (for the matching process) and are advertising/creating fliers and the such ... colleges and universities might be a good place (though I don't know what the rules/laws are about advertising).

On my campus, I have been approached twice about adoption from students who know that we are planning to adopt who have friends, or friends of friends, who are thinking about placing a baby for adoption.

In both cases I have provided them information for where they or their 'friends' can go for support as they consider their options, as I did not want to personally get involved.

Today I was approached again, and I realized that if my husband and I were going the independent route (though the university is not a good place for me personally to find a match) we have been presented with several independent possibilities.

So I don't know what your options, rules, or laws on this topic but colleges/universities might be a good place to network?

Re: Private/Independent 'Advertising'

• That's a great idea -- for anyone considering it, just look into your state laws.  In my state, adoptive parents can't do any soliciting on their own -- it has to be through an agency or attorney.  Be careful!
  • Not to be a downer, but the main thing these women need first and foremost is some counseling, WAY before they even start considering specific families, KWIM?  Many women actually feel this is "solicitation" and that obviously isn't anything anyone wants to do!  Just a thought.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"