Washington Babies
Options

Reading with DC

Do you have reading time with your DC? I was listening to the radio this morning about reading to your DC and how good it is for them. I know it is, it's just setting aside the time to do it. Afterwork I feel like a crazy person with everything that I have to do. But I think it would be really good for the kids. Not to mention it would be a way for us to have 30min of family time a night together always. I was thinking about starting it tonight or tomorrow night. Not to mention my oldest DS has a problem with comprehension and his teacher suggested we try reading to him. And also having him read to us. So I was thinking we could take turns reading. Any book recommendations?

Re: Reading with DC

• Options
    Have they read the Harry Potter books? ?Good for kids of (almost) all ages.
  • Options

Aside from daily stuff at home, my brother and his family have always used time in the car to read to the kids. (one adult drives, the other reads).  They've gone through a number of series as a family from Little House, Harry Potter, to Lord of the Rings.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We read to ds every night before bed as part of the bedtime routine. I really like the classic books, like Charlie and the Glass elevator (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) , Alice in Wonderland/ Through the Looking Glass, Tom Sawyer is great for boys, or My Side of the Mountain. Hmmm, I love books so I could go on and on! lol. It might be more motivating for our older son to take him to the library and let him pick. Also talking about it and asking questions about what happened is great for comprehension, and something easy you can do without being all "serious" about learning. Also, most schools or libraries could give you a good list of books by age/ grade level! HTH!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would say go to the library and let them pick out their own books!  That was always fun when I was a kid.  (But I was one that perfered to read.  My parents would say "put that book down and go outside and play!"  I would just take my book outside and read it out there!  lol)

We read to DD many times throughout the day with a good 25 minutes at bedtime.  She LOVES books though and perfers them over toys.  She loves to point out what she see's in the pictures and when you ask her where such and such is, she'll point.  Even things you don't think she knows, she will search and find them!  (she is getting an "i SPY" book for Easter! 

Reading is so fun, it's so important to get kids hooked early!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    IHHM they haven't read the Harry Potter books yet. I have all of them. I know they have been wanting to read them. Thanks for all the good book suggestions and ideas. Those are all so helpful! I like the idea of letting them pick. I think maybe we will discuss what books they like as well as getting a list from their teacher. My middle DS is actually at a 3rd to almost 4th grade reading level and his older brother is in 4th grade. So I am lucky in having to get a book that's in that levelish. Tonight we will discuss what books they would like to read. My sister also just recommended Lemonity Snickett (sp?) to me. And I heard about Horrid Harry on the radio. I would love to get this all in play though before DD goes into school and also before baby comes so it's already in play. Thanks again ladies!!!
  • Options
    One of us reads to DD every night before bed. We have "night night" books and it seems to do a great job of settling her down for the night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"