Working Moms

What do you do with DC on weekends?

This is totally making me feel like a bad mom, but I feel like I have no idea what to do with DS on weekends. Well, I do have some ideas, but I seem to run out of them fast - what the heck to SAHMs do every day with their kids? I guess my case is aggravated by the fact that DS still does not walk full-time and the weather has not been consistently nice here, yet.

I do play with him on the floor, but I seriously cannot imagine doing it all day with just breaks for eating and nap. I take him out to run errands with me - he actually enjoys doing that, or have him in the room with me when I am folding laundry, for example, - he likes that too. But as far as "quality time", I run out of ideas and, honestly, get bored of sitting on the floor next to him.

What do you do? Please help me be a better mom!

Re: What do you do with DC on weekends?

• OMG, I could have written this post when my DD was your son's age! My DH works many weekends, so it was just me and her, and I would often sit on the floor and play with her for a 1/2 hour, then look at the clock and think "3 hours until bedtime! I can't do this for 3 more hours!" We spent a lot of time walking around Target or the mall, just to get out of the house - but then sometimes I'd feel guilty because I'd think she wasn't really enjoying sitting in a cart or stroller. It did help to just make sure we left the house, though, to break up the day. She was also a late walker (didn't walk until 18 months) so parks and things weren't really fun for her, but sometimes we'd bundle up and take walks around the neighborhood, or just go sit outside, if we didn't go to a store. We also split our indoor playtime - we might play in her room for an hour, then we'd go to the living room, etc. Just for variety and a change of scenery (and toys!). There were definitely times I let her play independently (but within view) while I cleaned, did laundry, or (shhh!) even nested for a bit :-)

Once she started walking it got tons better - parks were more fun for her, we could go to mall play areas, we'd go for walks together, she liked playing in our yard, etc. As she got older, we were also able to do more fun things at home - art projects, crafts - more than just sitting on the ground and playing.

Of course then I had another baby and now it's a whole different story :-) 

• FloF9FloF9 member

A ton of stimulation.  Pre-baby I would wake up late on weeknds, etc...

7 am - milk sippy, diaper change, brush teeth, watch Baby Einstein video while I make breakfast, have my coffee, clean up, wash dishes.  Music time - dance to the music for about 20-30 minutes, sit down and play with them, read, talk, etc.. jump in the shower, get them dressed, outside to the park for a walk with the jog stroller, have snacks and juice/water, let them walk when they get tired head back, by then it's about 10 am - give them a banana, yogurt, etc... drink their milk and nap (11-12 or 12-1 pm)

They wake up at around 2 pm - give them lunch & more playing and reading.  Take them outside and play on the grass, wave to the cars, etc...go for a ride in their buggy cars,  by this time it's already about 4 pm or so - start making dinner,  feed them dinner, watch DVD, bath, milk and sleep (7 pm - 7:30 )

• Loading the player...
  • In the house: Even if we're home all day, I don't feel the need to sit on the floor playing with her the entire time. Yesterday morning, for example, I cooked some meatloaf to freeze for her lunches while she played independently. She came to check in with me and ask for help every now and then, but she wasn't in the same room with me the entire time.

Around the house: We have a sand/water table in the back yard. We left the water out all winter (too cold) but she liked just playing in the sand. This is another independent-play thing; she gets SO into it that she hardly even notices I'm there. When it gets warmer out, we have a kiddie pool and a sprinkler.

We also have three parks within easy walking distance. At that age, we'd take her over in the stroller. She's loved playgrounds since she was maybe 8 or 9 months old, when she was still crawling -- they're great for crawling and pulling up, too! Of course, she loves them now that she's walking now too, and cries when it's time to go home.

We used to take her out in the jogging stroller or bike trailer. Now, she starts screaming to get out and walk after about 15 mins in the jogging stroller. Sigh.

Further afield: Errands, like you said. I don't feel bad doing that at all; it's a change of scenery for her, lots of new things to look at.

We love going to the zoo or the aquarium. Again, this is something we've been doing since she was tiny, but she is really into all the animals now. We haven't been to the Dallas Zoo yet, but the Fort Worth Zoo is fantastic and the Dallas Aquarium is pretty good too. You can buy a membership so you can get unlimited visits; usually, if you plan to go at least 4 or 5 times in a year, the membership works out to be cheaper than paying each time.

I coach a girls lacrosse team, so I have practice or games at least one day every weekend these days. She comes with me and runs around the field and plays with the other coach's kids.

We get together with friends who have kids and let them play together.

We used to do swimming and gymnastics classes, back when we lived in California (a year or so ago). We keep saying we're going to get back into them, but we've been too busy!

We did take her swimming quite a bit last summer, and plan to do that again when the pools open again (Memorial Day).

I've also seen some groups on Meetup.com and I might check them out, but I'll probably wait till after lacrosse season ends... again, too busy right now.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• I mostly play with DD on the floor and watch TV. We read books (mostly she is into books now) and we read them over and over again. We play with her toys, she likes to climb on top of the couch and run accross it. Sometimes if I am cleaning up the house she will follow me around and "help". Like she will pick up a wash cloth and start wiping the counters (its really cute). If its a nice day we will go walk around the yard and pick up pine cones or rocks in the driveway. Then usually she takes, 2 naps during the day-a 2hr and a 1 hr in the evening. The day usually goes by fast.
  • It can be hard at times but is easier now that she's older. I would try to make sure we got up, dressed and out of the house by 9:00 to either go to a park and spend time on the swings, and watching other kids, or if it was cold, go and run errands.

Sometimes I'd take her to Barnes and Noble to read books or to our local Starbucks (they have good kids books at ours). We'd split a muffin, and look at books. Occassionally we'd hit the mall or Target - she loves running errands and being in the cart.

Have you tried coloring? I was surprised my DD could manage a crayon when she was around 1.

We'd often visit an elderly neighbor who loves seeing DD as part of the day. I'm working hard now to find other working mom's to have playdates with on the weekends. Are there families at daycare you could meet up with?

I'd also give her time on her own while I did things in the kitchen or cleaning around the house. They need time just to hang out with toys or books.

If I was cooking, I'd often pull the high chair over so she could watch or give her pots and pans to play with.

• we're up by 7.  dd and i get ready and go get breakfast at the neighborhood bakery.  we might stop by toys r us if it's open.  we take breakfast home to daddy who likes to sleep in.

10 - go to beach, museum, swim in the pool, or playdates.

1 - lunch

2-5 nap

5 - shopping, errands, or park

6 - dinner and hang out at home

8 - bed
  • Except for the summer we always take a Saturday morning class.  Gets us out of the house and something to do that's fun!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Do you live near any parks or museums? Even just to take a baby in a stroller is fun and stimulates them. And stimulates Mommy, too!

Or, get outside and let your child play with water, get a pile of ribbons and let him throw them around, shaving cream in an outdoor wading pool or water table. throw a cup or two of cornstarch in a wading pool and drizzle some water in it - HOURS OF FUN!

• Zoo, natural history museum (butterfly exhibit), park, bike rides (bike seat on my bike for her), shopping, mall for window shopping, childrens museum, coloring, stickers, throwing balls in the backyard.

When she was that age, I'd take her to McDonalds and let her watch the other kids play.  I also steal ideas from the SAHM board and others on the Parenting board.

Somewhere around that age DD got to be very difficult to take in public.  She started throwing fits around 15-18 months.  It has gotten much better within the past 2-3 months so I am starting to take her on my errands now to get her out of the house rather than waiting until after bedtime.

• I think everyone has lots of good ideas so I won't bother to repeat them, but I will just tell you that any time you spend with DS on the weekends is "quality time" whether you are playing or running errands or whatever.  I think a lot of people feel like their job on the weekends is to entertain their kids, but you aren't a circus performer!  And most of us have tons of errands that have to be done on the weekends.  If you are out and about with DS and just talking to him and engaging him and letting him look around, he's probably going to have just as much fun at his age at Target as he is anywhere else.  Honestly, I think a lot of the park, playground, aquarium, etc is for us adults as much as it is for the kids, so those are definitely great ideas for when the weather is good.  But when the weather isn't good, sitting and folding laundry with DS is fine, too! 
  • I am just replying to save some of these ideas for myself and also to let you know that I feel the same way!  I end many weekends by thinking that I'm glad I don't have to do that all day every day or I'd lose my mind!  I'm looking forward to warmer weather so we can at least get outside a little more.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageduchess0727:
    I think everyone has lots of good ideas so I won't bother to repeat them, but I will just tell you that any time you spend with DS on the weekends is "quality time" whether you are playing or running errands or whatever.  I think a lot of people feel like their job on the weekends is to entertain their kids, but you aren't a circus performer!  And most of us have tons of errands that have to be done on the weekends.  If you are out and about with DS and just talking to him and engaging him and letting him look around, he's probably going to have just as much fun at his age at Target as he is anywhere else.  Honestly, I think a lot of the park, playground, aquarium, etc is for us adults as much as it is for the kids, so those are definitely great ideas for when the weather is good.  But when the weather isn't good, sitting and folding laundry with DS is fine, too! 

This is such a good point.  For those of us who have kids in daycare - they actually (hopefully) do all sorts of activities all week long. They probably need some quiet time, too!

• DS is 3 and DD is 21 mos.  We wake up on Saturday, eat breakfast and hang out for a bit.  Sometimes they like to help me in the kitchen, mixing, dumping things in the bowl, etc.  DS goes to a class on Sat morning with DH and I will run errands with DD or take her to a play group.  Sometimes we just hang out at home and clean together (I give her a wash cloth and she "helps").  Then we meet DH & DS for lunch, then come home for naps and then we either go outside to play or play in our playroom while I fold laundry.  We usually have plans with another couple with kids on Sat night or we get a GP to come over to babysit.  Sunday is more of the same.  Sometimes DH takes the kids out to play to give me a break or I go out during nap time.  Sometimes we just hang out and don't do much.  If the kids start to get restless we take them out somewhere.
  • What a great topic! i was about to start one like that! My DS is 22mo old

Saturday: wake-up 8 am. I get up, feed him, change him, stay in his room, usually playing blocks or reading a book till 9:15 - 9:30. Then i..; GO BACK TO BED, and his Daddy comes into play ( no idea what they do). Like this we have 45 extra minutes of sleep.

Then - downtown walk+errands in a baby-carrier. DS loves it, he sees many more things.

12:30pm - lunch, then a nap

Then.. well, it depends. I'd say a kid needs 3 sorts of activities during the day : outdoor play(DH is usually good at that one), indoor independent play with his toys (basic blocks, or smth made by me personally) and a moment of active interaction (you read him a book, you play with playdough together, draw together.. whatever...)

I also consider watching a cartoon in my native language as an intellectual activity. But 25-30 minutes of TV per day only!

DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We always do something special on Saturdays. Right now its Baby Bootcamp (which we both love). Then we usually go to lunch with friends from the class and sometimes shopping, etc. He loves the stimulation. In 3 weeks we'll start Water Babies class on Saturday mornings. Other than that we do floor time, we go for walks, read books, etc.
  • It varies but we run errands, visit family, my older DD is in a gymnastics class and both girls will be taking swim lessons starting this summer (will either be a week night or on Sat) and my older DD will take a soccer class on Saturdays and we will get my younger D into one in the fall when she is old enough.  We go to the zoo, children's Museum, have play dates with friends, go to the indoor pool in the winter and the beach in the summer.  The park or walks in the summer.  We go to the play area at the local malls in the winter and also to the community center to the play area.  We have gone to Baby Loves Disco a few times and other activites that various groups sponser in the community.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I just wanted to add that many library's have fun things for kids to do like storytime or crafts with stories that you can sign up for on the weekends.

We usually go when it's icky outside. We also like going to the indoor pool.

• We go to story times at local bookstores, hit the public library, go to playgrounds, listen to kids music at home (she loves to dance), finger paint, etc. 

• Lots of good thoughts here.  I also found two books published by Gymboree that give lots of ideas for play and things to do. They have sections divided into age groups.  One was called Play & Learn.  I don't remember the exact title of the other one, but again, it was published by Gymboree.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"