Preemies

*MCMGK*

I saw a response that you wrote to a post that said you had a "permanent cerclage". ?Did you get it done trans-abdominally? ?I only ask because I also had a trans-abdominal cerclage (after my first 2 vaginal cerclages failed) and I've never known of another person who has had one. ?Most doctors have never even heard of a trans-abdominal cerclage. ?Do you belong to the "abbyloopers" support group? ?It's a forum on YahooGroups for women who have had trans-abdominal cerclages or are searching for doctors who will consider them for one.
Claire Avery born at 32 weeks on 10/25/06 Keira Leigh born at 27 weeks on 4/29/08

Re: *MCMGK*

• mcdevmcdev member
    Sorry I posted this twice! ?I thought my first post deleted itself before I tried to publish it. ?I rewrote it and then HI! ?There is was TWICE!!
    Claire Avery born at 32 weeks on 10/25/06 Keira Leigh born at 27 weeks on 4/29/08
  • Sorry to butt in but I am curious about this too! I have IC and the doc said if we got pregnant again they would do a permanent Shrodkar stitch and just leave it in.  I guess what would make it permanent is that it would not be a rescue cerclage but instead a preventative.  I am curious to hear about the abdominal cerclage...Have you carried a pregnancy since having it done?

• Loading the player...
  • mcdevmcdev member
    The TAC was done as a rescue at 18 weeks. ?Usually these are done before pregnancy as prevention or earlier in pregnancy than I actually was. ?My first two cerclages failed so this was my only hope. ?The beauty of TAC is that it virtually guarantees a full term pregnancy with NO BEDREST if IC is your only problem. ?Unfortunately IC was not my only problem and I ended up having Keira at 27 weeks by emergency C-Section. ?Basically I am not typical. ?I had everything going against me this pregnancy in addition to the IC. ?Past history of pre-term labor....Family history of pre-term labor...placenta previa with a very small abruption...PROM.... everything just kept going wrong no matter what I did. ?Many, many women on the abbyloopers board I wrote about above have had successful full-term babies after their TAC. ?Most doctors don't know about it or are very apprehensive about it because it is so invasive. ?(Basically it's like having a c-section but you are still pregnant! ?They go through the abdomen and tie off the cerclage right at the uterine opening). ?It is major surgery so of course there are risks involved. ?The two doctors with the most experience in the entire world are located in NJ and Chicago. ?People fly from all over the world to see them for this surgery. ?It just so happened my OB/GYN is affiliated with Dr. Davis, the NJ doctor and he just so happened to be at the hospital when I came into the ER on the verge of losing Keira. ?He told me about the TAC and 10 hours later I was in the OR. ?Yes, I still had my daughter prematurely, but it was for a whole bunch of other circumstances that had nothing (ironicallly) to do with my incompetent cervix. ?Great luck, huh? ?Sorry so long....you asked!
  • Butting in... I'm in the abbyloopers support group!  I didn't have a cerclage at all for DS, but if I decide to have another baby I would like to have a TAC.  The success rates for it are really good!
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • mcdevmcdev member
    KellyMichelle...Wow! ?Small world! ?Then you've probably heard of my doctor (Dr. Davis). ?The girls on that board talk about him like he has celebrity status. ?LOL. ?Keep me in mind when/if the time comes for you to have the surgery. ?I'll answer anything you may have questions about. ?I realize I am not a true success story considering I still had my DD at 27 weeks, but it was for other reasons and I am convinced that I would have never made it that far without the TAC.
  • Great info! Your girls are SO beautiful! If we decide to ever try again I will be looking into options for my IC.  Ironically what caused me to have my boys early was PPROM caused by having an emergent cerclage. I wish I would have known my cervix was incompotent sooner, but I guess you don't know until it happens.
  • MCGMKMCGMK member
    I don't have a trans abdominal cerclage.  I have the Shirdokar (sp) method done as opposed to the regular cerclage.  It's typically referred to as the "purse string" method.  It usually holds tighter and a c-section will have to be done because it stays in.  I have to have a c-section anyways so my doctor chose to do this method as opposed to the McDonald.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"