Pregnant after 35
Options

"Your a lucky child to be able to have a baby at your age"

That's a direct quote from my Mom.  Gee thanks Mom. She said this as I was talking to her about my Uncle who's been very sick. I had asked her to stop making comments like, "I'm just amazed he's still alive" because my DH and I made the very tough decision that I would not go up to Toronto *(we live in Denver) to see my Uncle because he's been getting better, and those comments make me question my decision but now it's really too late for me to travel.

DH had asked me to wait to make the decision until after my OB appointment. At that appointment, we discovered that I have placenta previa (well, we found it at the 20 wk US but my OB hoped my placenta would move). My OB wasn't thrilled with the idea of my traveling, but said he could see I needed to go. However, he did say that after my next appointment (April 8) there was no chance of travel at all, and technically, if my OB hadn't been going on spring break my appointment would be next week, so I'm really at a point where I can't travel and I just don't need all the negative comments.

Then to top it off, Mom makes a comment like that when she was 42 when I was adopted. While she didn't have to go through the pregnancy, she did have a complete hysterectomy 2 weeks after they brought me home. I guess she's forgotten that she was an older mother too!

Re: "Your a lucky child to be able to have a baby at your age"

• Options
    Oops - should be "you're" not your. *sigh*
  • Options

Sigh,  Moms are great aren't they??  My keeps saying things like hurry up, you're not getting any younger.  Ummm, like I'm not trying!!!

Oh well,  at least it's not your MIL saying the same :)  lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's like I always say, "If it's not one thing, it's your mother."

Sorry she's beign so dense and insensitive. Mine has been a total nightmare this week, but she thinks everything is great. Aaargh.

• Options

She refered to you as a "child"?   Some people are idiots.. even if they're related to you.

"Well Mom, you're lucky you're not dead yet to see the birth of your grandchild.  Oh wait.. there's still time."  That would probably blurt out of my rude-azz mouth. 

My mom has never been a "mom" type... she's kind of disinterested in anything that does not revolve around her.   Heck, she called yesterday and didn't even ask how I was feeling... and she know's I'm pregnant.

• Options

So, let me get this straight, your mom adopted you at 42? Maybe deep down she's a little jealous of your pregnancy, especially if she wasn't able to have children. Is this the case? I've heard some stupid comments from my parents every now and then. They totally piss me off but I try to forget about them and move on. I think they don't realize how inappropriate some words are.

Your baby is most important, I think you should follow your gut instinct and not travel. Unless you feel in your heart that you want to, but don't do it just to apease your mom, she shouldn't be making you feel guilty of anything. GL!

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Options

My sister, who is 8 years older than me, is my parents' biological child so I don't think it's a jealousy thing although maybe she would have liked to have had another pregnancy (she did miscarry once too). Who knows?! She tells me all the time she wonders where my sister came from...

As for her calling me a child, she (and my sister) still treat me like I'm 15, and then wonder why I live so far away. When I was last home, DD and I went over to a friend's house. We got home around 11:00, which was when I told her I'd be back (DD was still on Dever time, which is 2 hours behind, so while it was a bit late for her, it wasn't outrageous). The security guard in her building told me she'd waited downstairs for me for an hour starting at 9:45 b/c she was so worried. When I mumbled something, he said I was lucky she cared, which is true, but come on! I'm 38!!!

• Options

Mango2 - I hear you. I swear Mothers have absolutely NO FILTER when it comes to talking about topics of great sensitivity.

weight, love, pregnancy, body image. It really does get old.

My mum had some choice words when I told her about my BFP, she said something like 'well, it's too bad you couldn't concieve naturally. But I'm thrilled!"

Excuse me? I had an IUI, as DH has a mild health issue.

I've tried to explain over and over what the procedure is, but it falls on deaf ears. She'll never 'get it'.

And I've now realized that it's not my duty to make her feel more comfortable about it.

Hope your Uncle is doing well. You're probably snowed in right now!

IVF #2 {March 2011} :: BFP!! Due Date :: 12.03.2011 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

"Well Mom, you're lucky you're not dead yet to see the birth of your grandchild.  Oh wait.. there's still time."  That would probably blurt out of my rude-azz mouth.  >>

ROFLMAO!

Go girl!

My Dad did the same thing... My stepmom (whom I adore - and who never had kids of her own, but miscarried twins that would have been between my age and my brother's age) said "well you have to understand he's just worried about you... you're not so young to be doing this a second time.. "

*sigh*.

the thing is - we're lucky to be able to have a child at *any* age.   And don't think we all don't know it :)

Christine

• Options
    Lovely. ?I'm sorry your mom was so insensitive!
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"