South Florida Babies
Options

we did - we moved to cow's milk...need advice please!

on saturday i took mady to the pedi to check on her ears (since she had some fluid in it 2 weeks prior), while i was there we talked about cow's milk.

i told the pedi how she had been on 5 bottles of 6oz formula each a day and she said the same things you guys said...at this age she doesnt need that many bottles.

so we transitioned to cow's milk and changed her daily menu around on saturday and she is doing great!

since i took out 2 bottles i implemented 2 snacks throughout the day. please tell me if this sounds about right...

morning 8oz milk bottle

breakfast 9:30am

snack 11:30am

lunch 1pm

afternoon 8oz milk bottle

snack 4pm

dinner 6:30-7pm

nightime 8oz bottle

as for snacks...i have come up with these:

sliced ham and cubed cheese, yogurt, vanilla pudding with fruit inside (which i made myself!), cheerios, puffs, animal crackers, fruits (bananas, plums, grapes, blueberries, etc), broccoli, tomatoe slices, and shredded carrots.

i'm nervous about this whole transition since formula does have twice the iron as cow's milk i just want to make sure she's getting enough daily nutrients as well.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: we did - we moved to cow's milk...need advice please!

• Options

Hmmm sounds good, but is she still on 2 naps a day? If so I would consider changing it up a bit that way when she does go down to 1 nap a day (which could be soon) you won't have to change her schedule yet again. For toddlers (and maybe I'm in the minority) milk should no longer be used as its own meal, it should accompany their main meal. I tend to give Mikey his milk in his sippy about 30 minutes before he gets his meal (except for lunch since daycare handles that). If I don't do that he usually won't drink much with his meal just because that's how he is. 

Oh and at this age she should be getting most of her nutrition from the foods she eats, NOT the milk she drinks. 

• Options
    imageFSUSammy:

Hmmm sounds good, but is she still on 2 naps a day? If so I would consider changing it up a bit that way when she does go down to 1 nap a day (which could be soon) you won't have to change her schedule yet again. For toddlers (and maybe I'm in the minority) milk should no longer be used as its own meal, it should accompany their main meal. I tend to give Mikey his milk in his sippy about 30 minutes before he gets his meal (except for lunch since daycare handles that). If I don't do that he usually won't drink much with his meal just because that's how he is. 

Oh and at this age she should be getting most of her nutrition from the foods she eats, NOT the milk she drinks. 

yep she's still on 2 naps a day...it changes again once she hits one nap?? wth no one warned me :(

we saw dr hila this time around sam...and she mentioned that we can give her bottles with meals or without....i tried it this wknd and she seems to be liking the bottle seperate from her meals. i'm also giving her OJ now during breakfast, which she loves!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well it depends on when she'll go down for her 1 nap a day. Mikey goes down at 12, immediately after his lunch and he sleeps for a good 2-3 hours. So you'll want her to have a full belly before she goes down for that 1 nap a day.
  • Options

Zoe is still on 2 naps a day and still gets her sippys separate from her meals. I haven't added snacks in yet, so that's why i have kept the sippys separate. I'll worry about 1 nap a day whenever it happens! She doesn't seem to be close to that yet! Our food is like this:

7:30am breakfast with water

8:30am 6oz formula

12pm lunch with water

3pm 6oz formula

6pm dinner with 7oz formula, she's been finishing it after dinner while playing and watching some TV

6:45pm bedtime routine starts, asleep by 7:15pm

• Options

If she is happy and eating and drinking everything you are offering her now then it looks like a great plan. I would not worry as long as she is growing and doing great (health) at her appts.?

I would worry about the situation when nap 1 arrives. Go with her flow. I do?believe?they are the ones that teaches us what they want and need.?

?God, I wish I could try that nice food schedule of food you have for Mady but Diego is such a picky eater that I do and try whatever, whenever and he is as healthy as he can be.?

?And remember every kid is different.?

Barbie?

• Options

I think you have her on a pretty good schedule for her age.  When she goes down to 1 nap a day, the timing of meals and snacks will regulate itself.

I offer milk with meals.  In the morning Nicky gets a sippy as soon as he wakes up and drinks most of it while I get his breakfast ready, then I refill it and he drinks the rest with his food and while he is watching his morning cartoons.

He gets water and juice throughout the afternoon and then gets another sippy or two of milk with his dinner.

• Options
    Also, there is really no need to worry about iron and other nutrients if she is a good eater, but if she is picky with her solid foods, then you can give her Poly-vi-sol drops with iron.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"