Secondary IF

Prometrium

Hi!  I'm kind of new to this board, I thought that this would be the best place to ask my question :)  My doctor just prescribed me Prometrium to bring on AF.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has taken it, and what were your experiences?  I googled it and can only find bad side effects which is kinda scary.  The website says that a person shouldn't take it in early pregnancy, what happens if you get pregnant while you are taking it?  Thanks in advance.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Prometrium

• Hi and welcome ot the board!

You will only be prescribed enough for about a week.  After you stop taking the course it should take a few days for AF to show.  Sometimes it doesn't work and she doesn't come but it's pretty rare.

Side effects vary a lot but they typically mimic pg symptoms.  I have taken it orally and vaginally.  Orally I had horrible s/e.  Headaches, dizziness, nausea, moodiness sore boobs.  The suppositories weren't as bad for some reason. 

Sometimes the RE will prescribe it as a suppository after O.  Progesterone builds up the lining of the uterus and is one of the hormones that supports pregnancy.  Even if you do take it after O and get pg, you usually have to wean yourself off them slowly to allow your own hormones to take over the way they should.

HTH and good luck.

• If you're taking it to bring on your period you should take a pregnancy test first anyway... you will be fine.  Actually a lot of people do take it in early pregnancy to help sustain the pregnancy.  As far as side effects when I took it orally to bring on my period (which I have done TONS of times) I never really notice much...but I would burn really easily (extra sensitive to the sun while on it).  Good luck!
    Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"