Baby Showers
Options

shower food for 50+ guests!!

I saw the post about shower food below, but what if it's a big shower?? ?We don't want to spend a ton on food, especially since the cake will be a good chunk of change for 50 people. ?

?Need some appetizer type or munchie type foods for 1:00 or 1:30 pm shower. ?I am also afraid that the shower will be LONG because my SIL (whose babyshower it is) takes a LONG time to open gifts- so we need a good variety of food. ?

?Thanks for ideas!! ??

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: shower food for 50+ guests!!

• Options

We're having 50+ people too and we're doing cold cut sandwiches with pasta salad and munchies like chips and pretzels.

I'm thinking we may do cupcakes instead of a cake too to cut the costs, plus save time on someone having to cut the cake and serve (I find that to be a pain, personally lol).  I've been to several events where they do this instead of a cake.

• Options

We had a shower for my best friend a month ago and had atleast 40 people there. Since we had it at 2pm, a "meal" wasn't expected. We spent a lot of money on a really good cake that had two tiers (and two flavors for variety) and also had mixed nuts and mints. Honestly, that was plenty!

My mom threw a shower the week before (wedding shower though) at 2pm, and they had SO MUCH left over food. All appatizer type things. She advised me to skip the extras, since it was the mdidle of the day.

If you just have a cake though, make sure it is excellent quality, as it is getting all the attention food wise. I got so many compliments on the cake and everyone asked what bakery it was from.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For my bridal shower, we had 50+ ladies there and we did a nacho bar.  It was a big hit, and my hostess said it wasn't unreasonable for cost.  It was out of the ordinary, fun and who doesn't like nachos :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe a spinach dip with crackers or veggies.  Or a black bean corn salsa with chips.  This is easy and cheap to make.  If you have a Sam's or Costco, they have lots of inexpensive, premade appetizers.  I love the pinwheels that have a variety of turkey, ham and vegetarian.  Costco also has cakes and cupcakes. 
  • Options
    I had 50 at my shower a couple weeks ago.  It was at 1 o'clock.    We had BBQ sandwhiches, chicken salad sandwhiches, veggie tray, fruit tray, Chocolate Fountain, Spinach dip w/ bread, pasta salad, jello salad & 2 tier cake.  Almost all the food was gone. 
  • Options
    That is somewhat close to lunch so I would do sandwiches and chips and dips.  That is what we did at a friends shower.  Subway catered the sandwiches but you can save money by making them.
    TTC since July 2010 Diagnosed with PCOS January 2011 BFP July 13, 2011!!! Born March 12, 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would go to Sams or Costco and get apps. ?They have mini quiches, those little wrapped hot dogs, tacitos, etc... and you could order a platter of cold cuts too.
  • Options

What about pulled pork sandwiches, or a baked penne pasta dish? Taco bar?

Also, if you have a Sam's and/or (I'm assuming) a Costco nearby, they have SUPER cheap cakes! Definitely able to feed 50 people for probably about 25 dollars or so. And they are SUPER good!

• Options

My DD had 40 people and they had lasagna (one was veggie), salad, and garlic bread.  There were a lot of people who had traveled up to 3 hours so they needed "real" food even though the shower was 1-3.

As for your SIL taking a long time opening gifts...please ask her NOT to do this.  It gets sooooooo boring for the guests.  She will find that people find excuses to leave...and I'm totally serious!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"