Secondary IF

more clomid questions...

So I saw summerbrides post and Im going off of hers. ?I got pregnant with ds on our first try. ?Now we have been trying for a while for #2 and I stopped getting af. ?I haven't had af in 3 months (not pregnant) ?so my dr gave me provera to start af and then Im starting clomid. ?Im on day 3 out of 10 of provera and should start clomid on day 3 of af. ?Im just clueless and don't know what any of the abbreviations mean that everyone is writing about clomid. ?(sorry Im clueless on this) ?My dr said nothing about monitoring me. ?Im actually really scared to take the clomid but I want to get pregnant very badly. ?What do you mean by monitoring? ?Im a moody person to begin with so Im scared Im going to turn into a monster. ?I mentioned it to my dr and he said he isn't that bad and that any side effects would only last the 5 days I take the clomid. ?Im really nervous about this.... How bad is it?

Re: more clomid questions...

• CMM05CMM05 member

Don't freak out about it.....just be smart about it :) Everyone has different experiences with it, so you are always going to hear about the good and the bad.

About the monitoring: you should take the five days of your pills and then you should ask for an ultrasound to see how your follicles are growing. By measuring your follicles, they can tell you when you will ovulate and can watch you for possible multiples. They will also check your lining (your lining should thicken when you near ovulation....). After you ovulate, you should ask to have your progesterone levels drawn (to confirm ovulation....) and then some doctors will also check to make sure that you don't develop a cyst near the end of your cycle.

Hope this helps a bit! I know I might sound overwhelming, but just ask what type of monitoring they can do for you and then they should be able to walk you through it all. Again, there are a lot of women who take Clomid successfully without any monitoring.........

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Monitoring is doing a vaginal ultra sound (u/s) mid cycle to see what's going on. It just lets you know that the clomid is working and makes sure that you don't have too many follies there (which are the sacs that grow with your egg and then rupture to release the egg at ovulation). The more eggs, the more likely it is for multiples. Like the previous post said, some doctors with do a post ovulation progesterone draw to make sure you actually ovulate. I assume since you are not being monitored, you are probably not being seen by a reproductive endocrinologist. I HIGHLY recommend it. It may be more expensive (unless your insurance covers infertility (IF) but it's so worth it!! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageaxr8111:
    Monitoring is doing a vaginal ultra sound (u/s) mid cycle to see what's going on. It just lets you know that the clomid is working and makes sure that you don't have too many follies there (which are the sacs that grow with your egg and then rupture to release the egg at ovulation). The more eggs, the more likely it is for multiples. Like the previous post said, some doctors with do a post ovulation progesterone draw to make sure you actually ovulate. I assume since you are not being monitored, you are probably not being seen by a reproductive endocrinologist. I HIGHLY recommend it. It may be more expensive (unless your insurance covers infertility (IF) but it's so worth it!! Good luck!

Agree totally. ?I would make sure I am monitored on Clomid. ?Good luck?

• imageCMM05:

Don't freak out about it.....just be smart about it :) Everyone has different experiences with it, so you are always going to hear about the good and the bad.

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!  You know like I told the other girl, side-effects vary BUT the extreme side-effects are rare.  Talk to your doctor about monitoring and try be positive.  I really think that helps a lot.  GL!  This was my magic drug both times... hopefully you will be likewise lucky!

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • It did not make me moody, just sick to my stomach and horrible hot flashes. It helped when I started takin it at night.

They should be monitering your follies then I was also doing a trigger so then they knew when I should give myself the shot so that I would ovulate.  Then if Aunt flow showed, they would always do a baseline ultrasound before beginning another cycle to check if there are any cysts, etc? 

You may get to the point of doing IUI's too, but that is further down the road.  Good luck to you!

Alyssa born 6/14/05 at 8 lbs 2oz - Ashley born 3/27/10 at 6 lbs 13oz
    We had 2 years of IF trying to conceive #2 and one loss during that time. We are currently trying for #3! had another loss the end of June
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"