Alabama Babies
Options

Babyproofing...something a friend said to me

Yesterday we went to a friend's b'day party.  This friend has an 18 month old.  Basically they let him rule the house...they let him throw his toys at their hardwood floors, bang on their tv, their glass storm door, throw his food on the floor and at them and others etc.  This kid has so many toys that they fill a playroom, his bedroom, and their living room.  

As we were leaving I told them we'd have them over soon for a cookout.  She said yeah that will be fun and Ryland can show you what you will need to babyproof (laughing as she says this).  Okay I don't think she means the standard stuff...we are afraid this means she is planning to let her kid have free reign in our house as well.  I mean it's her child and her responsibility but I don't think she should allow her son to come in and act like he does at his own house in ours.   Would you take it as that?  What would you do in that situation? 

Re: Babyproofing...something a friend said to me

• Options
    I would take it just the way you did. Some parents think that their child can do no wrong. If they do come to your house and starts doing things you don't approve of talk to the mom see if she will scold the child. If not I would say (as nice as possible) for him not to do what he is doing.(maybe the parent will take the hint) Some children respond to other adults well. I know I don't have children but I have done my fair share of baby sitting. I wouldn't want a child running free in my house tearing things up. If the parents still don't do anything then I wouldn't invite them over anymore. I know that may be harsh but you work too hard on your house for someone to just come in there and mess things up.  
    Erin~N~Gregg 6/30/07 Project 365 imageCafeMom Tickers
  • Options

imageErin&Gregg07:
    I would take it just the way you did. Some parents think that their child can do no wrong. If they do come to your house and starts doing things you don't approve of talk to the mom see if she will scold the child. If not I would say (as nice as possible) for him not to do what he is doing.(maybe the parent will take the hint) Some children respond to other adults well. I know I don't have children but I have done my fair share of baby sitting. I wouldn't want a child running free in my house tearing things up. If the parents still don't do anything then I wouldn't invite them over anymore. I know that may be harsh but you work too hard on your house for someone to just come in there and mess things up.  

I was about to say this same thing.  Hopefully she wouldn't allow her child to behave this way in your house, but if she does and allows her kid to run a muck even after you mention it then don't invite them back. You'd be well within your right to do so if there is damage done.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Honestly, I would take it to mean that seeing him in your house will clearly help you see some things that will have to be changed in your house once your baby is mobile.  I actually said that same exact thing to a friend of mine the other day.  This friend has a baby younger than mine who is not mobile so she has had no need to babyproof yet.  However, she will have to soon so saying that to her was not at all meant in a snide way or anything.  When I take Caleb to a house that is not babyproofed, it is very clear within minutes of him crawling around what would be hazardous for a baby.  Cords, plugs, glass decor, small things that would be choking hazards, etc.  Things that we all have around houses until we have a crawling or walking baby. 

However, having said that...if she lets her kid act like that in her own home it is most likely that he will be acting like that at your house too!  I would not allow Caleb to act like that in our house or at anyone elses.  So, while I don't think she meant for her comment to across in a snide way, it probably does mean that you will have your hands full when he gets there!  LOL!  Good luck...let us know how it goes!

• Options

(hanging head in shame about what Monica must have thought about my house last week!)

Be prepared for him but the great thing is that it's YOUR house and you can set the expectations. If he's doing something that you don't approve of (banging on tv, etc) you can say "We don't do that at Wes & Candi's house" and change the situation.  18 months is old enough to know that is "baby's" and what is not.  The parents should be teaching this to their kid

Make sure you have something for him to play with (color crazons and paper? - maybe go buy some way cool bristle blocks for him to play with and hten you can keep them for your baby)

(Sorry - I am currently obsessed with the fact that Target has Bristle Blocks - I used to play with them when I was a kid and I still remember loving them!)

• Options
    imageFutureMrsWagner:

Honestly, I would take it to mean that seeing him in your house will clearly help you see some things that will have to be changed in your house once your baby is mobile. 

That was my first thought when I read your post.  However, judging by your friend's child's actions, they may have had to baby proof a little more than normal! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagesdkrlm:

Make sure you have something for him to play with (color crazons and paper? - maybe go buy some way cool bristle blocks for him to play with and hten you can keep them for your baby)

This is a great idea.  I need to get something to keep in our house for when our friends visit with their son.  He's so busy and into everything, but there's nothing child-friendly to keep him occupied. 

Add: You guys are right - I didn't realize how much our house is not child-friendly. We've got Ikea furniture (sofas/chairs) with wooden arm rests that I block everytime the kid (1 1/2 year old) walks by them.  He also likes to stand on top of the ottoman, which scares me.  His parents are good about telling him to behave and not to destroy anything.

• Options

We have always had a "kid basket" - I keep crayons, color books, those mardi gras beads are always a hit, and a few other toys.  The kids know where the basket is and it totally will occupy them. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"