Oregon Babies

In Salem looking for nursery furniture

My husband and I live in Salem, and we have looked at several stores for nursery furniture, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of selection that you can actually VIEW to see how solid it is.  Baby Depot at burlington coat factory had the biggest selection, but we only found one we really liked, and it is $500, it is a convertible 4 in 1 crib and we really like it.  I just don't know if it's a rip off or not.  there is a matching dresser, and the top can be used as a changing area, and the dresser is $400 so total we would spend $900 for the two, is this a good investment? Does anyone know if convertible cribs are really as good as we hope they are? 

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for travel systems please share!!  I am only 8 weeks along, so it is still early to be looking at furniture, but i want to be able to pick something out so that i can save money for it, or to to order it or put it on layaway early enough

any advice helps =)

Re: In Salem looking for nursery furniture

• Well, I will share my thoughts with you! I wanted good quality, easy to work with products, that had great safety ratings, and great online reviews from real users and Moms. There's a book called Baby Bargains that I highly reccomend you buy now, and it will help you to sort through aaallllllll of the baby stuff that's available.

I bought the Graco Lauren crib in Espresso from Target, it was $150. Very easy to set up and it looks amazing in the nursery. It is a convertible crib as well. It looks way better in person than in the photos. I didn't want to buy a "cheap crib", I could easily have spent $500 on a crib, but all of the advice I got was to just buy a basic crib, and I'm glad I listened to the advice.

Alot of new Mom's skip the "travel system" because the strollers are very heavy and bulky. Everyone that I know has bought a "Graco Snugride" infant car seat, and then a "snap n go" frame. Graco makes one, but I prefer (and bought) the Baby Trend brand stroller frame, because the basket was bigger and I liked the cupholders better and the "parents tray". You use that for the first 6 months, and then buy a "big kid" stroller after that, so you can take your time picking out one that you really like. The carseats range from $70-$160 depending on the model, and the frame was $50.  The frame weighs about 5 pounds, it's sooo light and easy to carry.  Here's mine:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh, and if you do decide to get a travel system, the popular ones are the Graco Metrolite, Graco Quattro Tour Delux, and Chicco KeyFit.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you!!!  I love your crib and the dresser is awesome too, was the dresser part of the same line?  I like how you use the dresser as a changing table, that's what we want to do.  Congrats on being so close to having your baby!  =)
  • Thanks!

The dresser is from BRU, Baby Cache brand, "Tampa collection". It was $500 regular priced (and they still have them in stock) but this one had a small ding on the corner of it, so it was only $334. And we had a $100 gift card to BRU, so we only paid $234. Score!

We were originally going to get the Ikea Hemnes dresser, it's also a perfect match for the crib we bought.

• Hey, I live in the Salem area too...there really isn't a lot out this way for baby furniture..  I actually ended up ordering my set from Restoration Hardware because of the lack of selection.  I went with them because most of the furniture in my house is from Resto so I knew the quality would be good.  I think the only options in the area are Target, JCPenny, maybe TRU if you can order BRU furniture there, and then there is driving to PDX.  Good luck though.  Great furniture is hard to find.  The Goodnight Room is a good option if you are looking for a selection of different styles.  When I looked, they didn't seem any more pricey than other locations...but that's Portland area again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"