2nd Trimester

13 weeks - dry flaky nipples?!

Oh my goodness. Help! I'm 13 weeks pregnant with my 1st. (Yea!) I have suddenly developed OOBER flaky, dry, itchy areolas and nipples. Is this normal? What is causing it?

I know you can get irritation once you start breastfeeding, but I'm not there yet, obviously. Besides, they don't hurt. They just itch and flake. Sorry if TMI, but I took my bra off the other night, and it was like a blume of flaky dandruff flew into the air! AHHH! What's wrong?

I've tried cocoa oil, lanolin/petroleum lotion from the hospital, tried wearing a bra to bed (because my night shirt actually did make them red and hurt-bad). I dunno what I could put on there to keep the moisture in. I even used a supposed long-lasting moisture lotion. The hospital's lotion seems best, but I'm still peeling/flaking and itchy as all getout.

Like I said, am I alone? Is this from massive rapid growth (which is what my husband thinks). Help!!

Re: 13 weeks - dry flaky nipples?!

• You are definitely not alone.Embarrassed
    DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are NOT alone! I seem to have been able to keep it at bay though. In the shower, I buff my nips with a loofah (and shower gel). As soon as I get out I moisturize with a lotion made from Goat's Milk. I love GOAT BOY:

www.goatboy.us?

Married to Patrick - 8.9.08 Mom to Lennon - 9.1.09 Expecting #2 - 5.20.12
  • Loading the player...
  • I would call the doctor, that sounds uncomfortable.  Mine have been sore and itchy at times but not like you are describing.  GL!
  • Mine are big, dark, itchy and flaky. Ick!
  • I should add... you might want to use a LOT of lotion. I know our nips are small, but I use the same amount I would use on my hands... and sometimes they stay dry and I have to reapply.

It's also really important to put on the moisturizer when you just get out of the shower so you're still wet. You want to lock in the moisture.?

• I definitely have nipple dandruff Embarrassed
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLorettaMG:

In the shower, I buff my nips with a loofah (and shower gel).

Yikes!!!  That just totally made cringe!  My nips are so sensitive I can barely stand to gentlely dab at them with a washcloth. 

• Not alone. I put some clinique lotion this morning, Tongue Tied
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had this around 17 weeks, and my Dr. said it's due to all the hormone changes.  She said to use Lansinoh, which is for Breastfeeding mothers.  You can find it with all the diaper creams etc...  It's worked wonders for me.
  • imagejjones19:
    imageLorettaMG:

?In the shower, I buff my nips with a loofah (and shower gel).

Yikes!!!? That just totally made cringe!? My nips are so sensitive I can barely stand to gentlely dab at them with a washcloth.?

Oh, honey... I'm so sorry! My t-shirts used to hurt the boobers, but now I'm fine. The loofah I use is really one of those puffs... it's not one of those hard spongey things. I read about this in a pregnancy book, and they said to to this routine everyday and then breastfeeding won't hurt as much because we've "toughened" them up!?

• mine itch so bad that ::confession:: I sometimes just stick my hand down my shirt and scratch them in the middle of wherever I am...discreetly of course...ha
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"