Detroit Babies
Options

Surprise Nursery Design

Would you pay to have your nursery designed so that it could be gender specific without you learning the gender of your baby?  How much would you pay?

My sister is intereted in starting a business doing this (in Cincinnati).  There are some websites/companies out there that do this.  We were just wondering if there would actually be a demand for it. Thanks for your help!

Re: Surprise Nursery Design

• Options

Personally, I wouldn't be interested.  Part of the excitement of being pregnant was getting to decorate the nursery and getting everything set.   It's a cute idea and I'm sure there's other people who'd be interested though and the fact that other businesses similar to this exist kind of prove there is a market.  If she decides to go ahead with this business, I would focus on the fact she does nursery designs for any expecting mom and then advertise the surprise nurseries as another service she does.  If she focuses on just the surprise nurseries, I can see people thinking that's the only thing she does.  Another big factor in her decision should obviously be the economy.  I'm not sure how Cincinnati has been affected, but something like that around here probably would not do too well since so many people are out of work or worried about losing their job.  This is the type of thing they'd pass up on in order to save money

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We are not planning to find out the gender, and because of this, I have come to realize how incredibly hard it is to find gender-neutral items.  It seems 80 to 80% of new parents are finding out the sex of their child, so nearly everything available is gender-specific. 

That said, I think the market for people wanting a nursery designed by someone other than themselves is small and the market within that of people who don't know the sex is even smaller.

I agree with the poster who said that she could do all nurseries and then advertise the surprise gender nurseries as an additional service.

I would not be interested in this service because there are so many other things baby will need, plus this is the really fun part-- going to stores, picking things out with love-- so I can't really justify spending the money.

Married in 2008 - DD born in 2010 - EDD 6.15.2012!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Personally, no, but only because I could barely wait the 18 weeks to find out the gender of my DS...I would've jumped out of my skin waiting the whole time. ;-) BUT, I think it's a cute idea for sure.

Since everyone keeps saying they'd rather pick everything out for the nursery themselves, your sister could always just supply the design, and let the parents decorate it themselves. Or maybe give them a couple different designs (they'd pay for each of course) and then they'd get to go out and actually pick out the real stuff/paint/etc. But I know a lot of people who struggle to find something cute, and end up revolving around bedding...fresh ideas for themes and stuff would help people out.  

• Options

I didn't find out the sex of my baby until after my babyshower and just a few weeks before she was due. I had went with the Rainforest theme. And now when I look at what I picked I couldn't see myself getting all pink things.

But to answer your question,  I wouldn't pay any one to do my room but that is because I love doing things like that. If I was to pay someone do think of a theme for me I'm sure I wouldn't pay to much.. In the end I would be paying for everything in the room. But she could always look into how much desigeners are getting paid in her area.

I hope things work out for her. Tell her GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"