Canada Babies

Happy surprise when I got home!

My blue bin arrived today!  I am so excited that we actually have real curbside recycling here now.  I spent an hour trying to fit all the plastics, jars and boxes I have been meaning to take in, in to the box.  It holds a good amound.  4 more weeks until they actually start the pick ups though.

Way to go Calgary, only about 10 years later than all the other major cities.

Re: Happy surprise when I got home!

• Wait til they start adding more bins.  I know its good for the environment, but is a pain.  We currently have a blue bin for glass and tins and plastic, a grey bin for paper and cardboard and a green bin for organics.  It wouldn't be bad except they rotate the weeks they pick up...by the time the paper/cardboard week comes along, our bin is overflowing and my house is a disaster!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Are you serious?!  Calgary is just getting them now?? Wow!

I live in rural-ish BC and we've had em as long as I can remember.  Sadly- we fill 2 blue bins every week with DS's formula cans.  Stoopid Alimentum only makes RTF 8oz cans in Canada.  Boy's gotta eat though and I can't feed him so what can you do?!

DS 06.26.08 DD 10.23.10
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I think that it all depends on how cheap your municipality is.  Some places can recycle tons more than others.  I am guessing Calgary just didn't want to spend the money.  When I was in college the city I lived in recycled everything.  When I moved here, I put the same stuff in and they refused pick-up.  (If its not recyclable they see it as garbage and wont take anything.)  But it is crazy that such a big city didn't have recycling before now!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • totally how cheap your city is.  Calgary not so big on environmental issues.  It hurts my born in BC heart sometimes.  A few months ago they were talking about scrapping it all together and opening a GYM FOR THE CITY EMPLOYEES!!! 

Oh and Clays, so glad to hear the formula cans are recyclable.  I wasn't so sure. 

• and Stewie, your city picks up organics too?  There is a community compost?!  Are people allowed to go help themselves for their gardens?  How much actual garbage do you end up with in a week?

I thought Calgary subsidizing my compost so I only had to pay 20 bucks for it was pretty good.  

• Alot of cities here (ON) are starting to do green bins. They are being piloted in KW and should be fully rolled out in the next year or 2. Hamilton has a program in full swing and so does Toronto. Each city is different for what they take for recycling because their systems are different and they can't necessarily handle all the same types of recycled goods. I know here we can't put styrofoam in our blue boxes but you can take it to the recycling center and they will recycle it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"