Cincinnati Babies

Cleaning Medela tubing?

The tubing for my Medela pump has condensation on the inside.  How do you clean these?  I have some of those steam cleaner bags I could use - or can you wash them in the dishwasher?  I've lost the instruction manual.

TIA!  and happy happy Friday.

Re: Cleaning Medela tubing?

• I found this on Medela's website. Not sure if it will help or not.

Sterilization is not an effective method of cleaning the SNS's tubing. To clean the tubing, fill the SNS with warm, soapy water and reconnect the ring and tubing. Then, force the soapy water through the system. Refill the SNS with clean water and flush the system with it. Repeat the clean rinsing as necessary. All other parts can be sterilized.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • the SNS is something different than the pump. 

for pump tubing- You don't really have to sterilize the tubing, but I did.  The condensation in mine dried up, but I notice that I do get some condensation in mine from pumping, which I usually just let the pump run with just the tubes connected for a few minutes and that seems to dry it up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think you're asking about the SNS.

For the PISA tubing it's fine to sterilize it because the milk doesn't go in the tubes. SNS is a completely different product.

You can use the steam bags but you have to put in enough water to cover the tubing, 2oz isn't enough. I constantly have condensation in mine and it helps to run the pump for a few minutes when you're finished pumping to let the air push the water out. You can also put a few drops of rubbing alcohol into the tubes and let them air dry. 

In a pinch, swinging them around my head lasso-style works, too :)

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Sorry about the mix up. Maybe one day I will understand all of this. lol
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • imagejerseygirl81:

I don't think you're asking about the SNS.

For the PISA tubing it's fine to sterilize it because the milk doesn't go in the tubes. SNS is a completely different product.

You can use the steam bags but you have to put in enough water to cover the tubing, 2oz isn't enough. I constantly have condensation in mine and it helps to run the pump for a few minutes when you're finished pumping to let the air push the water out. You can also put a few drops of rubbing alcohol into the tubes and let them air dry. 

In a pinch, swinging them around my head lasso-style works, too :)

LOL I totally do the lasso swing too!

Mason Louise
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You're correct - it's the PISA tubing - not the SNS (whatever that is!?!?)

LOL - I like the lasso style method - think I'll give that a try!  :)  I haven't just let it run after I'm done pumping so I'll give that a go as well.  I figured the condensation in the tubes wasn't terrible, but after a while of being in there it probably wouldn't be so good for it.

Thanks for your help!

• SNS is the supplemental nursing system. It's basically a bag of milk attached to a tube that runs down your breast. Women with preemies/sick babies/adopted children use them so they still get the bonding effect of nursing, and because it can help babies get the hang of actually BFing.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Well you learn something new every day!  I have been pumping for almost 10 months and have never attempted the lasso method.  Thanks girls! :-)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"