High-Risk Pregnancy

Short cervix at 19 weeks Please help

I need any kind of advice, support...anything. I went to my 20 week scan and found out I am having a beautiful precious little girl! :) The scary thing is that my cervix is measuring 2.28 which is very very short. I called my doctor right away and have yet to hear back from her. I am scared because I don't want to go into premature labor again and lose another baby. Has anyone ever had this? Please help.

Re: Short cervix at 19 weeks Please help

• First, I'm really sorry for your loss. Congratulations on your little girl!

I'm not writing this to scare you but when my cervix became short I was devouring the internet looking for people with similar problems and wanted to know exactly what their doctors said and at what point. I also went to Sidelines.org and registered on their chat boards too, where I found more people with the same problem. so here goes!

I was monitored biweekly from 14 weeks on and was around 3 cm until I hit 25 weeks and went down to 2.5 on a monday. My dr. said 2.5 is when he began to get "nervous" and asked what i was doing for work but told me to go to work for the rest of the week and come back that friday with my husband to be checked again. I went to work but took it easy. That friday I measured 2.6 and he took me out of work for the remainder of the pregnancy and put me on strict bedrest. It was a shock, but after I got used to the idea I realized that the only thing I could do was follow doctors orders and pray rather than stress out over my job and the "what-ifs".

He also said he wouldn't give me a cerclage at 25 weeks, but that's definately a question for your doctor.  I continued to be monitored every week to 2 weeks with internal ultrasounds.

There is a lot of debate whether bedrest actually works because there's not a lot of research to prove it (they dont want to put some women on BR and  NOT put other women on BR just to see who does better for research sake if it actually DOES work) but I truly believe it helped in my case.

I lengthened up back to 3.0 sometimes, but others I went down. It was all very dynamic. The shortest was my last check at 34 weeks and it was 1.1, just after I had been given permission to go on some outings and I was cheating around the house a bit more.

My restrictions have been lifted and here I am a week later, still quite pregnant and only 1-2 cm dilated. Lots of girls on here have shortened cervix and have made it to full term and some even to right before their due date. There are some of us walking around and even back to work with less than a cm of cervical length!!

Try to stay positive, keep us posted! Good luck!

• Hi,

My cervix started to shorten around 27 weeks and I was put on restricted activity. ?At 31 weeks, my cervix started to average 2 and below so I was put on modified bedrest. ?The good news is that it has held steady since I went on bedrest and I'm now at 35 weeks with twins. ?Also, I have not had any preterm contractions and have not had to go to the hospital. So try not to worry and just wait and see what your doctor says.

Jen?

• Loading the player...
  • I'm interested to read any posts about this as well.  I was just put on bedrest last week due to a shortened cervix.  I go back tomorrow for another internal ultrasound check.  Good luck and I hope things turn out well for you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have the same sort of story- At 19 1/2 weeks,I went in for my 20 week u/s and they discovered my cervix was only .7cm- basically nothing there. They immediately admitted me to L&D and the next day my doctors placed a cerclage. Since the cerclage I've been on strict bedrest and will be until our ltitle guy is here.

From what my doctors have told me, they like to see the cervix between 3-4cm. Hopefully they can place a cerclage for you- since you're still not too late in your pregnancy.

Lots of luck to you!

• MCGMKMCGMK member
    With DS I went to L&D at 24 weeks due to some pressure.  Turns out my cervix was less than 1 cm and funneled on both sides.  I ended up having him 10 days later at 25w 3d.  He had a lot of issues but now he's completely healthy.  This time I had a cerclage put in at 15 weeks and I've been on strict bed rest since.  Since you still have some cervix left they may put a rescue cerclage in.  It's still possible.  That will buy you some more time to let your baby grow.  Good luck!
  • Thank you very much for all the input. I will do whatever it takes to keep this baby alive and well. I called my doctor at 10AM it is now 1:20AM and I am starting to get impatient and I know that I need to be patient.

• Congrats on your baby girl! I had a short cervix too.  They noticed my cervixed thinned out to 1cm when I was 18wks 2 days and (not to scare you) went against my doctors orders and did the rescue cerclage.  I was placed on strict bedrest until the remainder of my pregnancy.  Unfortunately, I only made it to 28wks 5days with DS because of PPROM 10 days prior to his delivery which I didn't know but you are at risk for when you have a rescue cerclage. 

Good Luck and keep us posted.

• Forgive my ignorance but what is PPROM?

• PPROM = Premature Rupture of Membranes
  • Hi,

At 14 weeks my doctor discovered that my cervix was measuring about 2.8 cm and recommended a cerclage.  I had it done right away and went today for a check-up and she said it improved greatly.  You are still within the time frame for getting a cerclage so this will probably be an option.  I hope that you were able to speak to your doctor and if you don't soon, demand that he/she call you back.  Hang in there, I hope everything works out for you, you will be in my thoughts!!!

• I was taken off work at my 25 week appointment due to my short cervix.  My OB did a repeat u/s, and it kept getting shorter.  It was 2.5 cm.  I was a preemie, so , she wanted to be cautious.  I wasn't put on bedrest, just told to take it very easy at home and not do much.  It was scary.  I carried to term, and delivered at 38 weeks.  You can go on to have a healthy pregnancy...my OB said it can be normal for women to have short cervix's.  It would be scary given your history...hang in there and take it one day at a time!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My story is similar to others above. ?I went for a growth scan 5 weeks ago and my cervix was 30. ?Last Tuesday I went in and it was an 8. ?By last thursday it was at 0 and I was dialated to 1.

I have been on strict hospital bedrest ever since with privledges for only the bathroom/shower. ?They said it was too late for a clerage.

Hang in there, but I WOULD DEFINITELY call your doctor again. ?Keep us updated, it is scary, but do whatever you have to do.?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"