Toddlers: 24 Months+

If your DC has a 3- or 4-syllable first name...

...does he/she go by a nickname or shortened version of it?

If not, how did you manage that?

We both like Elizabeth and DH loves Elliana, but I prefer names with no "built-in nicknames" because I'm not crazy about most nn's.  I figure the chances of picking a 3- or 4-syllable first name and having the child actually be CALLED that are pretty slim, no?

Re: If your DC has a 3- or 4-syllable first name...

• The only example I have are my uncles: Raymond, Patrick and Michael. They are NOT Ray, Pat and Mike. So no, I don't think all names turn into NNs. (But I agree with you about built-in NNs and I made sure DD's name didn't have one.)

What would the NN for Elliana be? Ellie?

Have you thought about the name Leisel (sp?)? It's a NN for Elizabeth, but I think it's a nice stand-alone name.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My cousin is Peter and we were never allowed to call him Pete.  His brother is Anthony but we sometimes call him Ant...why thats ok I still dont know.  My kids both have 3 syllable names (Timothy and Alexis) and I chose those names because I also loved the nicknames.  But if you stress that you dont want them to be called a nickname then people have to respect your wishes.  Though when DC grows up she might want to be called by a nickname
  • Loading the player...
  • No one calls dd by a nickname. ?My mom joked when I was pg that everyone would call them "Marley & Harley", but so far that's been only her weird fantasy, LOL! ?I think that if YOU always call dc by his/her full name, others are less likely to nickname. ?Although, dh & I did toss out "Gabriel" as an option due to fear of the inevitable nn "Gabe", which we both hate, so I can understand your hesitance. ?I say go for the name you like, & correct people if they shorten it!
  • DD's name is Cassidy and most people call her that. Though, we do call her Cass a lot of the time, even though we never really intended on calling her a NN.

Our new baby's name is going to be Alaina and we're okay with the NN Lainey if a NN starts to emerge like it did with Cassidy. (Though, DH also likes Allie for a nickname, but I prefer Lainey.)

If you call your DD by the name you want and correct people when they try to shorten it, I don't think it would be a problem. My friend's daughter's name is Gabrielle and she never wanted it shortened. Her DD's 12 years old and is still called Gabrielle.

So, it's most definitely possible to retain the full name!

Happily married Mom to 2 beautiful little girls, 2 dogs and 2 cats (all rescues), 2 fish and one 29 year-old firebelly newt.
    ~ Hoping to add to our family by adoption via Connecticut DCF. Application submitted on 2/4/14. First home visit on 6/23/14. Started class 11/17/14.~

• I HATE nicknames. We named DD#2 Elisabeth (with an "s" and not a "z") and we call her Elisabeth right now, and so does everyone else. I'm not sure what will happen when she goes to school.

DD#1 is Barbara - I hate barb, barbie or babs, so I hope that people just call her Barbara

DS is Loukas (greek spelling) - I don't like lou or luke either.

I don't know if the chances are pretty slim. It all has to do with what you call them as well. I do correct people when they say liz for elisabeth......at least for the moment.?

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • DS is Clayton and we call him both Clay and Clayton.

DD is Laurian and we DO NOT call her Laurie or anything but Laurian.  If you don't introduce a NN, than the odds of one developing are pretty small.  At least until they are older and may want one.

Debbie - Mommy to Clayton William 5-3-05, Laurian Lynn 3-6-08
  • Haha you are the opposite of me.  I want all of my girls to have longer names but I only plan on them going by a nickname.  DD's name is Liliana but everyone calls her Lily.  If this baby is a girl she will be Aurora but will go by Rory.
  • We call Olivia by the nicknames Livia and Livvy.  I like nicknames, so I am not much help.  We chose a name that we could make a nickname.  My name (Robin) doesn't lend itself well to a nickname - I hate Rob - but my family calls me Robs. So I guess I always wanted a baby with a nn.
  • DD is Madison, NN would be Madi...I dont LOVE Madi but it doesnt bother me too much.....I think a lot of people take your cues from you....We never call her Madi.  Sometimes my Mom does and maybe a person here and there....but we dont.  When she gets older if she prefers that then she can initiate the change but for now its Madison.  Most call her Madison.
  • My friends' son is William.  Not Will, not Bill...William.   She made it clear from the very beginning that he was to be called William.  She wasn't mean about it but she made it clear she didn't like nicknames for him.  He's now 9 years old and everyone- even in school- calls him William. 

I think it just comes down to the parents and the tone they set for any name.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Well, we call Evelyn "Ev" about 50% of the time.  But I don't know if I would consider it a real nickname.  We'd never introduce her as Ev to anyone and it's not the type of nickname that would be used in school.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We only call our daughter by her full name, Samantha. I have nothing against Sami or even Sam, but I will wait till she gets older to figure out what we will call her.  She has several nn's though, but nothing to do with her given name.  Daddy calls her Munchkin and I call her Sweetpea alot of the time, lol!!!
  • My daughter's name is Alana.  We often call her Lana, which I really like. Sometimes I call her Lani.  But most other people call her by her full name, Alana.  Since it's not a common name, I think that helps.  I think it is more likely that people will shorten Elizabeth than Elliana, though. Our son is Alexander, and we do not want people calling him Alex. Since it is a more common name, though, and most other Alexanders go by Alex, people just automatically call him Alex. It's really starting to annoy me, actually. I haven't started correcting people, but I think I will, now, so they don't make it a habit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"