Stay at Home Moms

Is SAH harder or easier than Working at the workplace?

I am just curious. I can say this now cause DD is immobile, but SAH is way easier than being a 3rd grade teacher and I am SO thankful for that. The stress and tiredness I felt when teaching totally kicked my ass.. I wonder if in a year, I will feel the same way. We will see.

Re: Is SAH harder or easier than Working at the workplace?

• Easier..because I have a routine. I pretty much do the same thing every day, but the consistancy makes things predictable for my daughter and she's easy  to handle that way. Plus, I only have 1 kid and she's pretty well behaved...so I think I'm a special case.

But, I'd never want to trade this in for an office job again.

• it's harder for me.  my job had very little stress and lots of downtime.  while SAH for me is harder, i like it much better that the job i had! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Depends on the day, but I also watch kids at my home to help out friends, and I was a teacher, so it is about the same...dealing with kids all day!

• For me, it's tougher (but wayyy better) because I didn't like my last job and I was basically just on-call for my boss.  I put a lot into SAH, though - cooking, cleaning, etc... it just depends on the person!
  • It depends on the day and the time because it varies from moment to moment.  I was an adminstrator in a preschool before being a SAHM and it was stressful and hard at times but nothing in comparison to being a Mom to twins.  I don't regret my decision to stay home but it is hard.  There are days where I wonder what have I gotten myself into.  I am hoping once they get a little older it will get a little easier although I know then we will have other "promblems."

Kerri

• Do you mean working before or after kids?

SAH is harder than holding down a full-time job when you are single and don't have any kids.

but

SAH is much easier than being a full-time working parent

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it's easier in that I don't really do a lot.  My only task that's "expected" of me is to keep the kid alive Wink 

For me (not for all!, everyone is different!) it's tougher because I'm not getting the same adult interaction or mental stimulation that I had before.  

• just depends on your personality and your child.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • It's apples and oranges for me. I was teaching, so both jobs give me very little downtime, little chance to put myself first (say, going to the bathroom when I wanted rather than when the schedule allowed), little contact with other adults, having to be "on" all the time regardless of how I'm feeling...

Motherhood is harder because I still just don't know what I'm doing, and I definitely don't have an "easy" baby. Teaching can be harder in the sheer amount of work -- grading, planning, etc. I think motherhood is more stressful because it's an entire human depending on me. But they're just totally different jobs in terms of the emotional impact. Hard to compare (even though I just did!).

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickerscharlatti's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I can see why staying at home would be easier than being a 3rd grade teacher.  My friends who are teachers tell me it's exhausting.  But for me, SAHM is way more tiring than working a desk job.  Way more.  But at the same time, way more rewarding.

Actually, now that DD is up and moving around, I find it less tiring.  There's more to do with her, and I have a lot more fun.  She was cute before crawling, just it got taxing to know what to do with her for ten hours.  And she slept less then; now she gives me a good three hours most days to be on my own.

• I think it's harder-mentally, socially,physically and financially- but it's important to us that I do it anyway. It's also more rewarding though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think it's easier, but there are certainly days when I wish I could go to work instead. I can't imagine doing both though, working and having to run a house would be so overwhelming.
  • Some things are easier.  For instance, there is a lot less stress than my career.  Plus, no last-minute deadlines or late night projects.  But the hardest thing about being a stay at home mom is keeping an identity.  A lot of people just think I'm DD's mom and nothing else.  I want to be taken seriously, like I was when I worked. 
  • Some days are easier; some days are harder. I work p/t and SAH Thursdays & Fridays. Generally speaking, I think it's easier to work, but that has more to do with my temperament I think. I also agree with PP about the identity issue. I think I identify more as a working mom than a SAHM, even though I SAH two days/week.?
  • The Million Dollar Question...  :)

For me, it has been a bit of back-and-forth:

In the beginning, the adjustment period to having a newborn, breastfeeding, being sleep-deprived, NEVER having any downtime/freetime/MEtime, feeling isolated and lonely (before I joined a Mom's Group!) was NOT rewarding and was hard physical, mental & emotional work 24/7... much harder than going to work 40-hours a week.  But, to be honest, I can't imagine working my previous full-time job AND coming home to all the above at the end of every day.  That's not hard... that's just something I would NEVER want to do so SAH has been such a wonderful "job" for me!

Over the last 2 1/2 years as Emily and I both fell into a routine of feeding, napping, cleaning, playdates, classes, going to the gym, running errands, etc. it became more natural and rewarding, fun even... I wouldn't say EASIER than working full-time, just different and something I enjoy so much more than I ever did while at my previous job!

I guess I am just not someone who feels one "job" is harder than the other: it totally depends on how you felt in your career vs. how you feel as a SAHM because I know people who LOVED their careers and no matter how easy their babies were and how easy they made SAH look, they were just never satsified being a full-time parent!  I also know people who hated their jobs, never felt fulfilled or challenged and just couldn't wait to SAH full-time. 

SAH has been a perfect fit for ME!  It's a lot of work for me personally because I put a lot into it as far as running our home and raising Emily but, I truly enjoy it, look forward to getting up and getting to "work" everyday and am really proud to tell people when asked what I do... for me, this is the best job I've ever had, not necessarily the easiest!  :)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• I think in some ways SAH is harder and in some ways working outside the home is harder.  I think it's totally an individual thing and it's different for everyone. 
  • Eh, there's good and bad with both.  My son rarely naps and my husband works irregular hours, so that makes for a long day.  I can't say that one is really harder than the other.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have 3 young boys. Being home is much harder....but I wouldn't change it for the world! When I used to work outside the home I was a graphic designer and I sat at my desk and listened to music, checked email, surfed the web, talked with coworkers, had lunch with friends....oh, and worked a little too. lol. At home I am busy, busy, busy! But I honestly wouldn't choose going back to work over being with my boys -- even on the very stressful days. I LOVE being home. I've been home full time for 3 years now (and was home part time for 4 years). 
  • Its like comparing my former job to any other job.  You really can't because there are so many factors to consider.  I think it just depends on your personality, your child and his personality, as well as how many children you are caring for and the type of job you had before. 
    Moved to Maple Valley, Washington January 2012
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never been a working mom so I can't technically compare the two.  But it's my strong assumption that it would be easier because you have one less role to fulfill in our already comprehensive and full lives of wife, mother, woman, friend, sister, homemaker, etc....

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• I used to teach 6th grade. Having a very active 21 mo old is easier than being trapped in a room with a bunch of raging hormones! Even though I don't consider SAHM an "easy" job, it's a different job and I have zero stress like I did when I taught. I'm definitely tired at the end of the day now, but it's a different kind of tired. To be honest, the older DD gets, the easier it is. Each stage has its challenges, but it's pretty stress-free (and my DH is OOT half the week, so it's alllllll me!).
  • EASIER, hands down.
  • Ditto SoLongAs exactly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"