Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Did you help paint your nursery?

DH and I picked out the paint for our baby girls nursery, however my DH is just not a handy guy at all, and is worried he will mess everything up. My OB said painting is fine as long as the room/house has windows and doors open but I am still not sure if I should help out.

Re: Did you help paint your nursery?

• Options

DH and I painted the nursery, we had the window open and the fan on.  If you're worried you can always wear a mask but you should be fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Oh yes I helped my DH paint... with no windows open.. BUT I used this gas mask we got from Home Depot for $30. I looked really funny but I didn't smell ANY fumes.. and now I use the mask for cleaning my shower! :) haha

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    we painted nursery at 13 weeks.  I didn't help because the smell made me so sick.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Did you already purchase the paint that you picked out?  We spent a little extra and got the no/low VOC paint and there were honestly no fumes associated with it.  We couldn't leave the windows open the whole time since it was freezing outside, but we hardly noticed.  I took lots of breaks but was able to contribute a bunch!
  • Options

i helped.  and i didn't wear a mask.  my OB said it was fine as long as the room was well ventilated - so we opened the window and turned on the fan. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

{forever remembered and missed my sweet babe}

*m/c 10/10/10 - 7w0d*

• Options
    We painted what will be the nursery when we first moved into the house (a year before I got pregnant). He did the main painting (I am terrible with rollers) and I did the detail work (we have a nature theme, sky ceiling, plants on the walls). I still have a few things to touch up though that I put off forever, but I will do those when the weather is better and I can keep the windows open for ventilation.?
    Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

• Options
    yes I helped. But we only did circles, we didn't paint the whole room.
  • Options

nope.... we used the low VOC paint but I still didnt do it. DH and I havent painted one wall in our house and the whole thing is painted. We are not the "painting" type... even though I paint canvases.....weird I know.

We have an amazing painter that I would much rather give the business to and he is dirt cheap.

• Options

we are having it painted.

but, i think you'd be fine- just keep the window open

• Options
    My DH can not paint to save his life. So I painted the whole nursery and closet by my self, the IL's offered to help but if someone was going to spill bright green paint on the carpet I would rather it be me. Which I did do but only in a small spot.
  • Options
    My parents & H painted the nursery, although I popped in periodically to critique their work and helped paint some of the trim.  The windows were open. I thought I read somewhere that you really only need to avoid inhaling latex paint.
  • Options
    I painted. My ILs also asked if they could help but could never get it together. So me, a roller and Friends in the DVD. 2 coats, trim and the closet. Wasn't fun, but I'd do it again.
  • Options
    I did help paint ours. We just kept the door open and opened the window a little for ventilation.
  • Options
    I did it myself.  Just opened the window and turned on the fan.
  • Options
    DH would absolutely not let me paint.  I was a little bummed, but he is a much better painter than I am.
  • Options
    I am going to paint it myself, I have painted every room in my house by myself. I have control issues when it comes to decorating and painting!
  • Options
    I did not help, my DH wouldn't let me. 
  • Options
    No, but I did paint the mural.  Lowes has an awesome selection of low or no VOC paints.  Olympic brand has no VOCs.  HomeDepot only has one brand with low VOC and very few color choices :(
  • Options

I started painting before DH did. I do all the cutting in. By the time he started rolling (and fumes got stronger) I was almost done cutting in the trim. So I was there for some of the fumes, but the window and door were open and then I was finished with my second coat before he moved on to his second coat.?

I think you have to judge for yourself how heavy the fumes are once you start painting. Be sure you get lots of fresh air and if it still seems like too much, just save it for later. You can do half the room one day and half of it another day, too.?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    DH is painting right now! he doesn't want me there but I did put all of the tape!! LOL I go in every now and then to see how is going and to see if he need anything, I feel bad for not helping!
  • Options
    I did the whole thing myself. DH is a handy guy, but not so great at the painting thing.
  • Options
    I painted my kitchen a few weeks ago and plan to paint the nursery!  Like several posters have said... my husband is handy but not the best painter :)
  • Options
    I figure if my mom painted my nursery all by herself in the 80's and I'm ok then my baby will be just fine too.
  • Options
    I painted the whole thing myself.  DH is also not handy and wasn't particularly interested in painting to begin with.  I had both the window and the double doors wide open.
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"