New York Babies

Might lose my job... how to cope?

I'm a teacher in a district in Westchester and just found out that it's nearly definite that my job will be cut for this fall.  I am a bit freaked out, as we're new to the area, and with our baby coming, were relying on my job to be able to afford, well, life.  My husband just started his job 2 weeks ago, so hopefully that will all go well and we'll be alright.

My question is this- has this happened to anyone else here? What did you do? How do you go about finding a new job while pregnant, and then starting with an infant at home?  

I also run a photography business, so hopefully I'll be able to make some supplemental income, but who knows?

Thanks for the ear...  I just needed to get this off my chest.

Re: Might lose my job... how to cope?

• I was laid off right before xmas - and it was really really stressful at first, so I feel your pain. I was panicked because I knew no one would hire me being so far along in my pregnancy.  My DH and I moved to the city to take the job I had 8 months ago, so we are also new to the area.  I went to a few headhunters and they basically told me the same thing, with the job market the way it was going to be tough to get someone to hire me over someone who is not going on maternity leave.  I do know that it is illegal for them to ask you if you are pregnant, and you do not have to disclose that information.  However, the advice I was given was to not tell them you are pregnant until the final interview when you know that they want you. I have basically come to terms with the fact that I won't be working from now until the baby comes. I got a pretty good severance package and am collecting unemployment at the same time, so I am basically just saving everything I get to make it through at least the pregnancy and then I will start to look for a job after the baby comes. 

I know it's hard to relax, and that is what everyone told me to do and it was very frustrating. I have slowly come to terms with my time off and am trying to take it all in.  It has actually been nice for DH and I, we have more time to bond together before the baby comes.

• I was laid off right before the holidays as well, althoug I did get a severance package. I have been freaked out for a while, since we moved to a more expensive neighborhood in the city after I started working last summer. Everyone told me to relax as well, which is absolutely impossible. I have not enjoyed the time off, since I have spent it worrying. And sleeping...

I was offered a new position just yesterday, and an enormous weight has been lifted off my shoulders. To be replaced by a new one of feeling guilty about not telling them about my pregnancy yet. I figured I'll wait until I have the official offer in my hand.

Good luck to you both.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the replies.  Unfortunately, school districts don't tend to give severance packages.  The good thing is, since we know it's coming, we can plan ahead a bit.  We really wanted to save up a down payment for a house, but now that will be put on hold. 

My DH says that maybe it's a blessing in disguise, since now I can try to grow my photography business.  I've been doing mostly weddings and portraits, but I'd actually love to start doing more family/baby/maternity portraits too.  Who knows where this will all lead?!

Good luck to you both!  

• I actually have a friend that is in the same boat.  Good luck!
  • Thanks.

I'm hoping all goes well, but at this point, my principal has flat out told me that "It doesn't look good." 

Yippee.

Oh well- maybe I'm just meant to stay home with the baby! Big Smile

• I was just laid off on Tuesday. Big surprise. I had been starting to plan how to use vacation days to see family while pregnant and save some for paid time off. I was torn up that I could only have 12 weeks off with the baby, feeling like I'd much rather have a year and a half before working full time again.?

And now...I have been given a chance to jump off the crazy 60 hour week treadmill and find project work to fill in the monetary gaps that hubby and I need to fill.?

It sounds very PolyAnna of me but this feels like a real gift. I wish it could have been closer to the due date, but the universe does what it does in its own time.

I love that I can actually take a nap now instead of pushing through 6 more hours of work. I hope that all of you find what you want and have a joyous pregnancy and time with baby.?

And to srosess222, yes, this is your time!?

?

?

• Thanks  bebetulips! 
    I really might think I'll go for it. 

I just booked a mom/baby portrait session and a wedding too.  

Why not try?!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"