High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Anyone here have asthma?

What medications are you taking?  I haven't met with an OB yet but I plan on asking them what medications are safer during pregnancy but I was wondering what experiences people here had.  I had mild respiratory problems with my first two and had an albuterol inhaler just in case, which I rarely used.  Now since I've moved to Arizona I have asthma and I'm taking Singulair and Advair. 
Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06

Re: Anyone here have asthma?

• Options
    Yes- I use Asmanex and used to use Singulair.  I stopped Singulair a month ago since the data on breastfeeding was not entirely clear.  I can go without it as long as I am using something else (nasal spray) for my allergies.  The purists will say Pulmicort is the only category B steroid inhaler (B ok, C, possibly risk) but my doc feels that Asmanex shouldn't be any riskier necessarily than the Pulmicort.  I am a PA- and one of the allergists at my hospital has even had some of our mutual patients (I see those with GD) on oral steroids for short bursts- though that is less desirable.  I would definitely have a good conversation with your OB or GP- but it is doable.
  • Options
    Advair is fine to continue while your pregnant. My OB advises his patients to stay on it, but I tried without it and my asthma has improved (probably due to hormones). I haven't used my albuterol inhaler or nebulizer treatment since I got pregnant! Before I was pregnant, I was frequently hospitalized for severe attacks and used my nebulizer daily. I guess 1/3 get better, 1/3 get worse and 1/3 stay the same while pregnant. Because hormone levels are different each pregnancy, just because you were worse with your others doesn't mean you'll be worse again. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"