Northern California Babies
Options

POLL: Grandparent names

NotJustAnAuntie's post got me thinking about this...  I'm curious!

What grandparent names are used in your family?  Any interesting stories behind any of them?

My parents:  Nana and Grampa

My grandparents:  Gramma, Papa, and Nona (Italian for "grandma" with one "n" removed, for reasons unknown).  My grandmother used "Nona" though she wasn't Italian- my grandfather was.  I don't know why she chose that.

ILs:  Grandma and Grandpa

My great-grandmother:  Geenie.  Apparently a young grandchild was trying to say "Granny"; it came out that way and it stuck.

Re: POLL: Grandparent names

• Options

My MIL informed me last night what she wants to be called by any possible future grandbabies....and my mom told me what she would prefer but will take whatever the child wants to call her...

No we are not pregnant...but our mothers are excited over the prospect of grandbabies one day since we are both of their only bets (unless one of DH's older brothers finally meets someone...but they are still into dating around and being bachelors).

My parents: Grama (she would be ok with Nana too) and Papa

IL's: Mimi (VERY anti-grama) and Papa

My grama and papa want to be either Dot & John or "GrrGrama" and "GrrPapa"....it is what they are currently being called by my nephews (my cousin's kids....but we were raised like sisters so I am Auntie too her kids)...we think it is freakishly cute for the "grr"  and they call them by their first names when they want to "tell" on them...i.e. "GRAMA (my aunt)...YOU HAVE TO HEAR WHAT DOT DID....SHE TICKLED ME!" (he is 3 1/2)....totally hilarious.

Happy Takes Work A family blog.
    Money Matters The other half's blog.
    EJ is growing up too fast!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

We didn't have a discussion about it and just went with whatever came naturally.

My mom (who sees him the most) is "Grammy"

My stepmom is also called Grammy, but with her name attached "Grammy linda"

the only person who WANTED to discuss what she would be called was my Grandfather's wife, because I was just calling her "Helen" and she didn't think that was appropriate. I will NOT have him call her grandma. She refers to herself as grandma and we call her "auntie helen". Grrrrrrrrr

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My mom and dad are Grandma and Papa (Gramma and papa)

My ILs are Grambo and Gogo.  I know how Grambo came about but not sure about Gogo.  Ryan was the 5th grandchild so we didn't have much of a say. I'm just glad that they're different.  It was hard growing up with 3-4 "grandmas".  I would have liked having a Mimi, a Nona, or Granny. 

Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    We have it easy. My parents are Korean and ILs are chinese, so DCs will just call them their respective names in their own language.?
  • Options

My dad is the only different one.  We refer to him as "Lelo" b/c when my nephew was a baby he couldn't say "abuelo" (grandpa in Spanish) so that's what he called him.  And now that's what we have J call him. 

J's dad is Grandpa.  And then J has three Grandmas.  lol   When we want to differentiate then SMIL is Grandma Montana (b/c they live in Montana), MIL is Grandma Lastname and my mom is Grandma TownSheLivesIn.  It'll be interesting to see how J decides to differentiate them himself some day...

• Options

My mom= Oma

Oma is German for Grandma

MIL=Grandma

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My parents and DH's mom and stepdad are Grandma and Grandpa.  DH's Dad and stepmom I guess are going to be Nana and Papa or something like that (they haven't met Milo yet but thats how they signed a card.)  This last one surprised me because DH and I both call all our grandparents Grandma and Grandpa.
  • Options

MIL is grandma. No FIL...

My parents are Coco when my first nephew was born, 20 years ago my Mom didnt want to be Grandma so she said he could figure it out. Started at Kaka...the coocoo...finally settled on Coco. My Dad is Papa.

Tony has his Grandmas both still alive...they are both GG

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

My parents are Memaw and Papa, Garrison gave them those names.

Dh's parents are grandma and grandpa.

My Grandparents on my dad's side were Grandma and Grandpa on my Mom's side Grams and Paw paw.

Dh's were Nanny and Poppy

• Options

My parents go by Grandma/ Grandpa

FIL goes by Grandpa or Grandpa Andy

My Grandma goes by Grandma Jeanne (doesn't want to be thought of as a Great-Grandma).

• Options
    So boring - both my grandmas are Grandma First Name, now Great-Grandma to M. My dad's dad was Granddaddy and my mom's dad was Grandpa. My parents are Grandma and Granddaddy and my FIL is Grandpa unless M decides to call them all something else - since he's the first grandchild I think that means he gets to make that decision :-)
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My parents are   Grandma and PeePaw (Bella couldn't say Grandpa so she went by PeePaw and it stuck)

My MIL is Grandma Debbie or just Grandma. 

My older sister is called Nona because when Alycia was a baby, she couldn't say Lola (Dolores) and called her Nona and it stuck, now EVERYONE calls her Nona.

Mariessa calls both my mom and MIL "Mama" and I'm "mommy".   Actually, with MIL, it doesn't matter who Mariessa is calling, she comes running first, so I just let her.

• Options
    We have two Grandma Firstname, one Grandpa Firstname and a Poppop.
  • Options

I called them all Grandpa/Grandma (actually pronounced Grampa/Grama) Firstname.  We plan to have DS do the same, but as he is the first grandchild, he might make up his own names.  And since he has only one grandfather, he won't need to differentiate that one.

My grandma is having her two great grandbabies call her "GiGi" (as in g.g., great grandma).

• Options

My mom and dad are Grandma/Grandpa Huney.  It's part of their last name (my maiden)  Interestingly, I called my great-grandma Grandma Huney, even though she was on my moms side and had nothing to do with the name!  The whole family called her that too.

My ILs are Nana and Papa, they chose, works for me.  I like the different names.

DHs grandma is Gigi, but she has a million other g-grandchildren.

My grandparents and I haven't discussed it, probably Grandma and Grandpa First Name unless J comes up with something.

J is the only grandchild and will be until we have another, he has A LOT of doteing adults.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My mom wanted to be called "Gran".  We called her that until Alex could talk- and he started very clearly early on calling her "Ahna".  I guess it was his way of saying Gran.  Anyway, my mom LOVES it and I got her a robe that has "Ahna" embroidered on it for Christmas!  Ha!  She says all the cousins will have to call her that now. 

My dad is Grandpa.  Alex is SO cute when he says is "Grum-pah!"

My ILs are "Grandma Frick and Grandpa Frick".  Alex hardly sees them, so whatever.  What I love about that is that Chris called his dad's mom "Grandma Frick" and she didn't get along with Chris' mom... and now she's called "Grandma Frick".  I know she hates it but I DON'T CARE.  Devil

The Boy Wonder 8/23/06 & The Famous Baby 6/1/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My grandparents were Grandma & Grandpa (maternal side) and Yun-Yun & Yeh Yeh (paternal side names in Chinese).

DH's are/were: Grannie & Grandaddy, Pop-Pop & GG

My ILs are Gram Cat & G-Daddy and my mom wanted to be called Grandma Jo & my dad is Gung Gung (Chinese name for grandfather).   

• Options

My grandma wanted to keep grandma because she didn't want Z to get confused by calling her great grandma. So my parents are Abuelita and Abuelito.

My in laws are Bubbie (Yiddish) and Papa.

DH's great grandma is Sapta.

• Options

My mom & her hubs: Grandma & Grandpa

DH's folks: ?MomMom & PopPop

DH's grandmothers: ?MomMom & MeMom (& late DeDad)

Not sure the origins of DHs family references, but they seem common on the east coast.?

• Options

Obviously none yet since we're working on the 1st still, but I find this funny as my mom has been pondering what she wants to be called. She wasn't sure she like "grandma" but didn't like any of the alternatives either.

Anyway, on DHs side where we have nieces and nephews, MIL goes by "meema", the others go by grandma, grandpa (divorced so there are multiple sets of grandparents).

• Options

MIL & FIL - Grammy (her choice, though she wanted Grandy and SIL vetoed it) and Grandpa

My parents - Cha cha (I really have no idea why, my mom chose it and she's kooky like that) and Papu (he's Greek and was raised by his Papu)

• Options

My parents: Grandma and Grampa (my dad use to call his grandpa "grampa" so he wanted to be called that too)

My grandparents: Papa and Granma

DH's parents: Grandma and Grandpa

DH's grandparents: Great-grandpa and Great- grandpa

My great grandma: G.G. :) (short for Great-grandma)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My parents: Grammie and Grampie

DH's Mom: Grandma

DH:s grandfather: Papa

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"