Preemies

When did your babies actually start gaing weight in NICU?

My boys are both finally back up to the birth weight.  They have been in NICU 2 weeks tomorrow.  THey are back up to 3.6 and 2.14 .  When did you actually start seeing them gain some weight?  I'm getting impatient here.  I'm ready for that 4lb mark!  It's just frustrating hearing them gain like 5 grams a night..... 
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: When did your babies actually start gaing weight in NICU?

• It took E about 2 weeks to get back to her birth weight (2lb 12oz) but once she hit 3lbs she started gaining like crazy (which is funny because now she doesn't gain at all). Are they on full feeds? Have they increased their calories? That made a huge difference with E. Don't worry, they'll get tehre soon!
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • I dont know if they are on full feeds, but they  have increased their feeding almost daily.  ONe is one 29 ml and one 27ml so almost 1 oz.  (30 ml is 1oz) They tolerate their feedings pretty well with some spit ups here and there.  I'm sure they will start gaining more soon, I'm just very impatient!
  • Loading the player...
  • It took a full month for Leo to get back to his birth weight, but only a week for his brother. They both consistently gained 3 or so oz/day once they got back to their birth weights.
  • Ok I just made my nightly call to the NICU to find out their weights and the nurse told me that Carter went from 3.6 to 3.7, which is great, and Dylan went from 2.14 to 3.3 ...um she had to have made a mistake right? He can't gain like 4 ounces in one day right?

I guess Ill find out tomorrow when we go but that doesn't seem right.....

• He definitely can, though he might not gain very much tomorrow :) I actually calculated it at one point and E gaining 2oz was the equivalent of me gaining 6lbs. Chubbster!
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • our nicu had told us that they liked to have babies grow as they would have in utero. ?so, they wanted them at about 6 lbs by 38 weeks (aprox). ?so, your "should" be around 4 lbs by 34-35 weeks. ?apparently, in the "old days" they packed the pounds on preemies and found that it hardwired their brains for obesity. ?HTH
  • after about a week he started gaining. 
  • Thanks ladies.  The boys are a little past their birthweights now.  Dylan is 3lb. (up from 2.14 at birth) and Carter is at 3.7 up from 3.6 at birth so they have gained a little.  Hopefully the trend will continue!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"