High-Risk Pregnancy

premature placental calcification and APS?

Hey I figured that maybe one of you will know what the heck I am talking about and have some info.  I had the premature placental calcification diagnosis with Ethan in 06 and it was causing IUGR; I had to be induced at 38 weeks.  I was wondering what causes this and if there is any links to APS or some other thing.  My doc has me on baby asprin as a proactive measure since I have had a few losses and said that she can test me for APS once I am pregnant again.  So does anyone have something similar and did it cause PPC?  Thanks for any info you can provide-I am totally grasping at straws here, but you ladies are very helpful so I figure someone might be able to give me some info.  

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

Re: premature placental calcification and APS?

• I'm not sure if there is a link between APS and PPC, but I do know that underlying autoimmune disorders can cause a bunch a of placental issues.
  • I am not sure why she would say she will only test for APS once you are pregnant.

APS is not 'caused' by or only flares up during pregnancy.   It is a autoimmune disorder--- if you have it, you have it all the time.  The antibodies do not go away and come back only when you are pregnant.  Some people have APS and only have issues with pregnancy. Others have it and have clotting events (strokes etc).

I have tested positive for the lupus anticoaglent antibodies twice plus have had the recurrent m/c -- I have APS.   To meet the Sapporo criteria and be given the diagnosis of APS you need positive bloodtests 12 weeks apart plus once of the clinical signs (clotting event, recurrent m/c, one loss after 10 weeks, stillbirth...).

So a long post to say I still don't understand why she would wait until you are pregnant.  If you test positive 12 weeks apart and have had a clinical event, you have APS and would likely be on heparin shortly after a BFP.

Waiting until you are pregnant to run the first test seems odd...   Heparin is not a drug you want to be on unless you know for sure you need it.   But if you need it, you want to be on it.  It is believed that blood clots in the placenta  can cause fetal demise when a person has APS.   Maternal high blood pressure and IUGR are also common in someone with APS.

Note that it is possible to have one positive bloodtest and then the repeat to be negative. At that point, you do not have APS.   Transient levels in your bloodstream linked to other issues can briefly give you a +ve on a APA or lupus anticoagelent screen.

• Loading the player...
  • She said that there is a higher liklihood of getting a false negative it done prior to pregnancy.  I am currently on baby asprin, but will probably opt to get tested.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"