Washington Babies

It's been a bad week...unemployment question

I waslaid-off on Monday.  I was completely blindsided by this.  We were told up to last week that our jobs were fine and they weren't looking at our positions.  They said it was tenure based, since I've only been there 2 yrs and the most recent hire I was let go.

My question to everyone is in regards to unemployment and my pregnancy.  Since I am 14 weeks pregnant I can claim unemployment up until I am either disabled from the pregnancy or from giving birth.  How does this work?  Can I just not claim for the time I am disabled and then start claiming again when I am able to look for work again?  The wait on the unemployment phone line is insane right now, so I thought that someone here might know.

TIA

My siggy never works right! Our bug is almost 3 now! image

Re: It's been a bad week...unemployment question

• I'm no help with your questions, but I wanted to say I'm sorry. ((HUGS))
  • I'm not sure about the unemployment thing either. But I am so sorry this happened. Love coming your way =]
  • Loading the player...
  • :::big hugs:::

DH had better success at emailing them in addition to waiting on hold for a quarter of his life :) Plus that way you also have documentation of the conversation. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • You can claim unemployment as long as you are actively searching for work up until you give birth and then again after, when you are able to.  A friend of mine just did this and took 2 weeks off after having the baby and was right back to applying for jobs again and collecting unemployment.  I probably would have taken longer than 2 weeks though.  Good luck! 
  • I don't know, but I'm so sorry!!

Can your HR department at work help you with that question?

• I know ALOT about this since I was fired while pg and then sued the company I worked for, email me tfarabians@hotmail.com
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • YGM!

My siggy never works right! Our bug is almost 3 now! image
  • Ugh, I'm so sorry! I think as PP said, as long as you are technically available to work, you can collect unemployment as long as you are meeting the requirements for job searching/applications.
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • I'm sure you have your answers by now...I just wanted to say I'm so sorry :*(

• imageenergyzer:
    You can claim unemployment as long as you are actively searching for work up until you give birth and then again after, when you are able to.  A friend of mine just did this and took 2 weeks off after having the baby and was right back to applying for jobs again and collecting unemployment.  I probably would have taken longer than 2 weeks though.  Good luck! 

This is exactly right.  I was laid off when I was 12 weeks pregnant and I collected unemployment until the week I gave birth.  You then just dont file your claim that week (you dont ven have to call) and your benefits will be put on hold until you call them or go oline and resume collecting.  To resume collecting, you just fill out a form online or call the telecenter and then you go back to filing every week with your three applications per week.  I waied until about 8 weeks after giving birth, but you can o this whenever you are ready.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • I know how you feel..I was laid off three weeks ago at 7 1/2 months pregnant. I definitely feel discriminated against due to my pregnancy situation. I am still waiting to get my first unemployment check!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"