Breastfeeding
Options

WTH is happening?

I was instructed to exclusively pump until DS got back to his birth weight because of some latch issues. He was just tiring himself out trying to latch and the doctors in the NICU were more concerned with him eating and gaining weight than him actually attaching to the breast.

I generally pump after every bottle feeding (every 3 hours, 4 during the night). I usually get 2 to 3oz at every pumping session. Everything seemed to be going great.

Here is how today went:

DH fed Chaz his 8am feeding and let me sleep so no pumping. 11am I pumped a full 3oz. 2pm we attempted BFing (Chaz is finally back to his birth weight) and things went great, I pumped after and got next to nothing. 5pm I was only able to pump a little more than 1oz. 9pm and 1am another 1oz.

I am starting to freak out a bit. The day started out perfect and it seems that I am getting less and less every time I pump. I am dreading the next feeding because I will have to use formula, the little bit of backup breast milk I had is gone because I got so little at the last few pumpings. Could my breast milk be drying up already, even if I am still actively pumping?

Any advice or words of encouragment would be wonderful! Sorry this is so long.

Mommas Little Yankee Fan!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: WTH is happening?

• Options
    I'd add an extra pumping session, it maybe small at first but over time it should increase your supply.  BFing is all based on supply and demand.  GL!  What a cute little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you are pumping after you BF him then you wouldn't get as much as you would with just EPing.  If you continue to BF AND pump then your body will begin making more milk, but if he's eating at the breast first then you are giving him all that you would normally pump.  Just  try to keep him at the breast as much as possible to help increase your supply because your body will respond to him better than the pump.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I pump after feeding DS I will never get more than an once. I highly agree with the pp who said keep up with the nursing then pumping. It will boost your supply. Also try and remember to stay calm and relaxed when feeding/pumping and drink LOTS of water. I also can pump more when I'm relaxed and well hydrated.
  • Options
    I agree with pp and also wanted to add that most people's milk supplies are lower in the evening so that might be why you were able to get more in the morning.
  • Options

imagenewestmrsmason:
    If you are pumping after you BF him then you wouldn't get as much as you would with just EPing.  If you continue to BF AND pump then your body will begin making more milk, but if he's eating at the breast first then you are giving him all that you would normally pump.  Just  try to keep him at the breast as much as possible to help increase your supply because your body will respond to him better than the pump.

I agree with this. The more he nurses, the more milk you'll make. Also, a nipple shield can do wonders for latching problems. We had a very hard time with latching the first month and I finally used a shield for 6 weeks until she was stronger and used to BFing. If you use one it's important to get the correct size. I found mine at BRU. I wish I had known from the start how incredibly helpful a shield can be. GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Were all of those pumping right after a feeding?  If so you're lucky to get an ounce right away.  I pretty much make an ounce per hour, whether I feed him or pump.

It is incredibally difficult to build a freezer stash without using formula supplements if you have an average supply.  There are just some women out there with crazy supplies that have to pump and freeze or else they'd be in pain!  Not me though :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"