Baby Names
Options

Baby Girl Name: Amity

It means friendship and peaceful relations. WDYT? It has really grown on both me and my husband.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby Girl Name: Amity

• Options
    I have a friend who is named this and while it's meaning is pretty she said she has lived her whole life with people asking her if her parents named her after the Amityville Horror Story.  For that reason I would find a different name.
  • Options
    Amityville Horror.... that's all I can think of, sorry.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagethatgirlang:

Me too.

• Options
    I think it's pretty and uncommon, but I did think of the Amityville Horror Show and Amity Shlaes, the columnist.
  • Options
    I don't really care about the movie reference. I have a friend named Stella and every time she introduces herself to someone they always say: STELLLAAAAAA! But she still loves her name. There are a lot of things you can make reference to with a lot of names.
  • Options

imagezoieglow:
    I don't really care about the movie reference. I have a friend named Stella and every time she introduces herself to someone they always say: STELLLAAAAAA! But she still loves her name. There are a lot of things you can make reference to with a lot of names.

Oh, ok. But what I meant was- it's ALL I can think of versus "well it's pretty but it reminds me of the movie." I can't think of anything complimentary to say.

(But of course I don't matter! You and your husband do. :) )

• Options
    My first thought was: Calamity Jane. I think there's something to be said for names that are unique, but I also think there's a fine line between having a name that's different and a name that makes people go, "Whaaat?"
  • Options

imagethatgirlang:

Me too.  I think it's a poor choice.

• Options

imagethatgirlang:

ditto.  sorry.

• Options
    While you may not care about the movie reference your daughter might. I would find another name you like that doesn't have that kind of connotation.
  • Options
    I don't like that name at all. Sorry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Before I even opened your post, all I could think about what the horror movie. It taints the name for me.
  • Options

the meaning is lovely, but the name isnt.  I think of the horrow movie first, but despite that, I dont think it sounds pretty.

• Options

I just think your daughter might not appreciate being named after a blood bath once she is old enough to understand what it means.

The meaning is great, but if I were you I would search for other names that mean the same thing that don't bring up memories of murder for people.

imageimageimage
                                     **DS 12/17/10** **#2 Due 2/14/15**

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagehijoi:
    I didn't think of the horror movie.  I thought of Jaws.  That's where the movie was set, on Amity Island.  So long as you like it, got for it.

Me too.  But, I love that movie.  And I think Amity is pretty.

• Options

imagethatgirlang:

Ditto. The movie, the book, it's the only thing that comes to mind. You may not think it but countless others will.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    vom. I hate it.
  • Options
    I think it's awful.?
  • Options
    all i think of is amityville horror - not something i'd want people thinking of when they looked at my cute baby.
  • Options
    I would think of the horror movie as well, if one of my best friends growing up didn't have that name. She is a wonderful person, so it has a great connotation for me, but not so much others I'm guessing.
  • Options
    I would like it, except it reminds me of the Amityville horror. Not a good association.
  • Options

imageGoldie_Locks_5:
    all i think of is amityville horror - not something i'd want people thinking of when they looked at my cute baby.

ditto this. i think it just sounds like an odd name for a kid.

• Options

imagethatgirlang:

Agreed. Tongue Tied

• Options

imageamoureux:
    Before I even opened your post, all I could think about what the horror movie. It taints the name for me.

ditto

• Options

imagethatgirlang:

Same?

47 months &
    11 months
  • Options
    I've never seen the horror movie so I didn't think of that, but it did sound made up to me, so for that reason I'm not really crazy about it. Sorry. :(
  • Options

I know a woman named Amity, so that is the 1st thing i thought of, not the movie, and honestly I have never associated her name with that movie. I like it.

• Options
    I am biased since I had a beloved cousin named Amity. She had the misfortunate of being born the same year that the movie came out and lived the reference all of her life. It's a shame because it's a lovely name.
  • Options
    I really like this name.  It was in the running for DD#2.
  • Options
    Thanks, I showed this thread to my husband and we both still like it so I'm happy with our decision to keep it. I also showed him a thread from a baby name board where women named Amity gave feedback on their experience with the name and they vast majority is positive. Thanks for all your feedback.
  • Options

It's actually not a Younique name. It's a pretty, old-fashioned name. It was very popular in New England until the 1850s. It's one of the original names that was abbreviated Amy.

I think it's sweet. I actually used it for a character name a few years ago, and that was the first thing that came to my mind.

• Options
    I would use it as a middle name.
  • Options

imagethatgirlang:

exactly what i thought of as soon as i read the subject

• Options

Confused

imagethatgirlang:

this.... sorry....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"