Parenting

s/o when/where you can buy alcohol

This was prompted by Bubbly's snow post.  Can you buy alcohol everywhere where you live? 

In CA, you can buy alcohol at grocery stores/costco (think ginormous alcohol bottles :)

I remember when I was in WA state for college there was no alcohol in supermarkets (other than beer and wine I think).  We had to go to liquor stores for the hard stuff and they were closed on Sundays.  So like Bubbly, no alcohol on Sundays. 

Re: s/o when/where you can buy alcohol

• No alcohol at all on Sundays.  No liquor in grocery stores.

We suck.

Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. -Tennessee Williams

You take my ovaries, I take your yarns.
  • Here in MN, you can only buy alcohol at designated liquor stores (package store/off-license store) which are licensed by the state and only open Monday through Saturday. It depends on the county as to how late said stores stay open.  You can buy beer at the grocery store here, but only three-two beer (which is less alcohol per volume than regular beer, and it's nasty).
  • Loading the player...
  • I know in Memphis (so I'm thinking Tennessee) you have to go to a liquor store to get hard stuff.  Not sure about beer.  In Michigan you can get it almost anywhere (even some gas stations!).  You can buy on Sunday after noon.  There is legislation right now to make it legal for bars to open earlier on Sundays (noon now) and to stay open 2 hours later (2 am now)...so that will probably be the same for buying alchol.  The state wants revenue!
  • In AZ we can buy hard stuff in grocery stores and Costco (my preferred method - I like the ginormous bottles!). We can also buy on Sundays, but I'm not sure about a time limit. I seem to remember when I lived in MI that you couldn't buy liquor on Sunday mornings.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Texas, you can buy 7 days a week, from 7 a to midnight M-F, 7a to 1a Saturday, and noon to midnight on Sunday.  Beer & wine in grocery stores, harder stuff in liquor stores.  I don't know if liquor stores are open on Sunday.

In PA, you can only buy beer from a state store or a bar.  At a state store it is only sold in cases.  If you want a 6 pack you have to buy at a bar.  When we were there on vacation, we ended up buying a case of beer to drink 2.  My uncle got the other 22.  Those were 2 expensive beers for us.

ETA: That should read that you can buy beer & wine 7 days a week.  

ETA: I changed the entire PA paragraph to make sense.

• imageemiliemadison:
    Here in MN, you can only buy alcohol at designated liquor stores (package store/off-license store) which are licensed by the state and only open Monday through Saturday. It depends on the county as to how late said stores stay open.  You can buy beer at the grocery store here, but only three-two beer (which is less alcohol per volume than regular beer, and it's nasty).

Yep, it sucks!  I wish they'd change it!  The "three-two" stands for 3.2% alcohol.  I think beer, normally, is closer to 5%.  We took a tour of Coors Brewery and asked about it.  They tour guide looked at us like we had two heads...it just isn't common to sell 3.2 beer.  Blah!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • EMT, you forgot to add that in CA, you can't buy alcohol after 2 am(from a store or a bar).
    Evelyn-Mommy to Ben 9.20.05 and Emily 5.14.07 and Callie 7.10.09! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yep, we have to go to liquor stores for the real hard stuff.  Otherwise, it's just beer and wine at the store.

Alaska was different-you could buy it all in the grocery stores.

• imagePurrrfect433:
    EMT, you forgot to add that in CA, you can't buy alcohol after 2 am(from a store or a bar).

This is true.  I forgot, I guess because I never tried ;).

I did, however, drive up to Canada just to get some alcohol when in college (drinking age is 19) only to find out they had some funky rules about Sunday too!

• Since when can't you buy alcohol on Sundays in SC? Is it a mid state thing?   We buy alcohol on Sundays...I'm not sure that the liquor stores are open, but you can buy wine and beer.
  • imagePurrrfect433:
    EMT, you forgot to add that in CA, you can't buy alcohol after 2 am(from a store or a bar).

Hmm, I've never heard this (I know bars can't sell after 2), but I didn't know that 7-11 had to stop selling beer. Could that be a regional thing in your part of the state? I remember turning 21 when I was interning in D.C. We were living in Arlington, VA, and couldn't buy anything but beer and wine. If we wanted the harder stuff we had to go into D.C. In CA, they'll sell anything, anywhere! There are no limitations on Sundays. That seems like such a ridiculous, outdated restriction.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm in NorCal, too=) Places will sell it, but it's technically illegal to sell it past 2 am in all of CA per the laws stated by the Dept. of Alcoholic Beverage Control

https://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=25001-26000&file=25631-25633
    Evelyn-Mommy to Ben 9.20.05 and Emily 5.14.07 and Callie 7.10.09! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Here in PA, we have beer distributors and "state stores," which are the only places to buy any kind of alcohol, at any time. The beer distributors sell just that--beer (and soda), no wine or liquor. State stores sell liquor and wine, but no beer. It's completely bizarre and lame. None of these places (in general) are open Sundays, and there's no beer, wine, liquor, anything anywhere else, in most places across the state! In recent years they are getting nutty and opening some state stores on Sundays. We are lucky and have one nearby. And they are test-running some state stores in supermarkets. We also have one of those. But seriously, these have opened only in the past 2 years. During college we'd make runs to Jersey on Sundays for beer!
  • Not in grocery stores in NJ, not even beer and wine.  But liquor stores are everywhere here and open on Sundays.  I think liquor stores can only sell until 10pm though...it might be 11pm.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"