North Carolina Babies

Another update

It's been a roller coaster so far. We came home yesterday.

My milk has come in and Caleb is having a hard time latching on since then. Last night I had a breakdown because he was screaming everytime I brought him to the breast. I finally got him to latch and we had a few hours of sleep. Today he went 6 hours without feeding, he is so sleepy and upset when awake and trying to latch.

He also has jaundice so we had to go to the Dr. today. His number went up again to a 14.9 so we have to go back tomorrow. His weight is down to 6lbs9oz (from 7lbs5oz) so they are also concerned about that. We go back tomorrow to see how he's doing.

I've kind of learned a system after talking to the lactation consultant at Rex and we've had several successful feedings. I'm also supplementing him with expressed milk after nursing to try to keep him full and help with the jaundice.

Overall I'm doing okay, but its so hard not to be frustrated with everything. I know it's all "normal" but that doesn't make it any harder to deal with. I'm just praying he has improvements at the doctor tomorrow!  

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001

Re: Another update

• Just remember: You are a GREAT mom and are doing the best you can for your son. It's so tough right now, I know, but hang in there. You are doing great and he's going to be fine!
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• My prayers and thoughts are with you. I am so sorry you are having trouble, it will get better quick believe me. UNC is right it is soo hard right now.....all a blur to me still, you are doing great and I hope the jaundice clears up soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry you are having a rough time.  I was right there with you not too long ago!  Our DC went down in weight also after he left the hospital.  I was a worried mess!  I felt horrible and at fault that he wasn't getting enough to eat. I was told that it was normal for BF babies to take up to two weeks to get back to their birth weight.  Now that your milk has come in, Caleb will be back at his birth weight in no time.  So, try not to worry!  I know that's way easier said than done. 

The one thing that helped me where latching is concerned, is to not let him stay in a bad latch.  It wasn't doing him or me any good.  At first, I was just happy he was latched and was getting milk.  However, that was just "teaching" him bad habits and causing pain for myself.  

If you do not have the brest friend, I highly recommend it.  It has made BF a lot easier for me. 

I wish you the best!  You're doing a great job.  Keep us updated.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You're doing great! That first week is so hard, and so stressful. Holly lost a lost of weight at first too. Totally normal. It all gets easier in a couple of weeks, I promise! *hugs*

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• ahhhh your post brought back flashbacks to our first two weeks....and now look at my chubby chick. ;-) your last paragraph really said it all. it's soooo hard not to get frustrated through it all. my first two weeks were the hardest thing i've ever done. once i got past those, each day things started to get easier and easier. you're doing a fabulous job, whether you feel like it or not, and eventually the two of you will get the hang of things!

i agree with pp about the latch and redoing if need be. if it took us 10 times to relatch, we did it so that she could get it right and it wouldn't hurt me.

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"