Cincinnati Babies

Moms of 1 year-olds...

Anyone else dealing with temper tantrums all ready?  DS has started throwing himself on the ground and screaming whenever he wants something he can't have or when we try to change his diaper/clothes. 

Is this a boy thing?  DD didn't start with the tantrums until she was 3 and is still having them occassionally.  It's a fun time around this house when they throw one at the same time Tongue Tied

We try to distract him or redirect him, but he's so darn stubborn!  Just wondering if anyone else was dealing with something similar?

Re: Moms of 1 year-olds...

• YES!!!!!!!!! I could have written this post myself. Lucas has started doing this, and it's driving me crazy. We just ignore him, and it usually passes quickly.

I was also wondering if other moms were going through this, or if I was just a lucky one. :)

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Luckily Jackson has never thrown himself on the floor.... But I don't think he has ever seen anyone doing that. (your son probably learned it from his brother, monkey see monkey do!) But he does have whiney fits and runs around/accross the room when he is mad. I just 100% ignore it. I sit and wait until he is done, go get him, and do whatever it is I was trying to do in the first place.

Usually that is the end of it... at least for now!! haha...

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • I was thinking the same thing!  I thought this was way early to being throwing tantrums.  We deal with this constantly.   Its absolutely driving me crazy.  I am hoping this doesn't last forever.  Its so hard to deal with.  DH doesn't have a clue what to do and just gets frustrated and thats no help at all.  I try to ignore the bad behavior so he doesn't get attention for it, but I am loosing my mind.  I am hoping that as his vocabulary expand and he can tell us what he wants, this will get better.  Lets hope!
    Kristen & Mike 7/2005
    Griffin 10/2007
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh yeah.  I've noticed a huge difference in the temper tantrums in the past month or so.  He throws himself on the floor and kicks & screams.  Fun times!
  • It's not a boy thing because my daughter does it too. We just ignore her and it doesn't last long. She use to throw herself on the floor or bang her head on the floor but she doesn't do that anymore. Her latest thing is that she has started throwing things when she is mad. Unfortunately these things usually get thrown at the dog! So usually by the end of the day she has about 5-6 toys that get taken away and they end up on the mantel. I think we hit the terrible 2's early.
  • I think 1 yr olds do this so frequently b/c they can't express yet what they want and you can't yet reason as to why they can't have it.  If Niko wants fruit snacks and he wants them NOW, I say "first you have to eat lunch, then you can have fruit snacks.  Fruit snacks are a treat..." and so on.  He doesn't get as frustrated because we can communicate.  They are still learning that when they are 1 yr old. 
    Married 12.27.03

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh yeah, the tantrums have started around our house too. Luckily they seem to have improved the last month or so. I think this is because she is expanding her vocabulary daily. She was in a hitting phase too. That was really difficult to deal with but she's over it now. They seem to go away as quickly as they come around.
  • It's definitely not just boys.  Allison is a tantrum guru.  :(
  • LOL!  DS has been trying to throw himself backwards since he was 9 months old!  Now he screams when he wants something he can't have.....the phone, the remote, etc, etc.  Fun times!!!
    Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • YES!! Rylee has been doing it for about 4months now though, she started earlyIndifferent. She completely freaks out at almost every diaper change, which makes it really hard when we go out to eat. I'm always scared that she is going to launch herself off the table.

As for when we are at home and she doesn't get something that she wants or get frustrated playing with a toy, she will sit and kick her legs back and forth or she will cross them and squeeze, which makes her even more mad cause I guess it hurts. Oh and I think she is cussing my out sometimes too cause she will get this pissed look and gripe at me.

• I forgot to add something I do now with DS.  When he screams or makes noises when he's upset I say "Do you want mommy to make those noises?"  He stops and says "No noises." 

I don't think that would have worked when he was 1, though.  :)

Married 12.27.03

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"