Babies: 9 - 12 Months

MN Nesties...

Re: MN Nesties...

• I am. My sister is coming with me too, I think she justs wants an excuse to go to MOA!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm going to try to go!
  • Sounds like fun, but it's too far away for a day trip.  Maybe another time... Have fun!!
  • Hmm... random question for you girls from MN (since you're all right here anyway).  Is 'New In Town' with Renee Zelwegger a pretty accurate portrayal of small minnesota towns?  I watched that movie this week and now I'm curious.  I know it's a silly question but I'm from Oklahoma and have never been to that area before!  Thanks for humoring me! 
  • imageShimmy:
    Hmm... random question for you girls from MN (since you're all right here anyway).  Is 'New In Town' with Renee Zelwegger a pretty accurate portrayal of small minnesota towns?  I watched that movie this week and now I'm curious.  I know it's a silly question but I'm from Oklahoma and have never been to that area before!  Thanks for humoring me! 

i haven't seen the movie but from just previews, no that's not what we're like...AND we DONT talk like that

• Haven't seen it, but for the record, Fargo and Drop Dead Gorgeous were both bull$hit. I've never seen my grandmother as piissed off as she was about Fargo.

But in the interest of full disclosure: what is stereotypical about small towns in Minnesota but IS true.

There are a lot of Scandinavians, and therefore lots of Norwegian names, even though we Germans outnumber the Vikings signficantly.

There is lots of lutefisk and herring. Lutefisk is the work of the devil. If you don't know what it is, don't ask because if I tell you, you won't stop vomiting.

Yes, there are lots of casseroles, but we generally call them hot dishes. And yes, many contain cream of mushroom soup and/or Velveeta. And before you get your foodie panties in a bunch, let me tell you, cream of mushroom soup and Velveeta can cover a multitude of culinary mistakes.

The only thing there is more of at a small town Minnesota potluck than hot dishes will be bars. If you can eat it for dessert, we will make a bar out of it.

Everyone's grandma is a really good cook, which is necessary because they had to feed farmhands. And damn, can farmhands eat.

Generally, there is a feeling of superiority over people from Iowa, the Dakotas, Canada, or Wisconsin, depending on which border you are closer to. For my people, for example, it is the Iowans. Poor pathetic Iowans.

We may say "oofta" and "Yah, sure, you betcha," but generally, we are doing it while rolling our eyes to give you sad cityfolk what you expect to here.

• mwdmwd member

Originally from MN but not going, too far....

As for the movie, probably a better dipiction of MN is Grumpy old Men.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lori, I love you! And so, so true. I also haven't seen the movie.

Fargo was WAY off base. Although, when I was in college, I was a part of an outreach ministry group. We went to churches and did youth events, helped with services, etc. We got lost on our way to one, ironically just outside Fargo (which BTW, is in North Dakota...) and stopped at a random house for help...

The woman sounded like she had just walked off the set of the movie Fargo. By the time my teammate and I got back to the van, I was laughing so hard I almost peed my pants. 

Oh, and Minnesota nice really does exist. And we can fix anything by cooking and bringing meals to others. It's not cold until there's "-" in front of the temperature. 

And yes, there are LOTS of Iowa jokes....Our football teams suck, our baseball team is good, but the owner is cheap and the hockey team has sold out every single game in its existence (including preseason). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"