Breastfeeding

bad suckle habits...help!

I used a shield with DD for the first month.  I did notice that she played alot with the shield and didn't always have a proper latch...but she still got milk.  I think she formed some bad habits.   Over the last week DD has started making these smacking sounds which break her latch and then either bites my nipple or flicks it with her tongue, I can't tell which but it hurts like hell.  The smacking also allows her to swallow more air.  Anyway, how do I stop her from doing this? I've tried pulling my nipple out every time she does it but that hurts too and doesn't seem to be helping.  Any ideas?

Re: bad suckle habits...help!

• DS did this for a short time, right after we introduced bottles. Unfortunately the only thing that worked for us was breaking the latch, re-positioning, and doing so with every "bad latch". Once I had DS positioned correctly, I found that if I held his head (kind of restricting his range of motion) with the correct latch for a bit he seemed to get it. Good Luck!

• You need to pop her off and re-latch her. But don't just pull her off! Ouch! stick your finger in there to break the suction first.
    - Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"