TTC After a Loss

Has anyone here had an HSG?

Care to share any info? Was it done outpatient or in your Dr's office? Did your DH stay with you? Was it painful?

Any info is really, really appreciated.

Re: Has anyone here had an HSG?

• My sister has had two.  She said the first one was painful (she actually kicked her doctor), but the second one wasn't bad at all.

I believe the recovery was like having really bad cramps.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Jack Emmett born on 2/2/10 after 17 cycles and a miscarriage
    Calvin Wyatt born on 1/10/12. Our surprise baby!

EP Facebook Group ~*~ My Baby/Life Blog
  • Hi Oregon! Long time no see ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Hiya.  I am sorry to see you over here.  I wish I were seeing your posts on the Tri boards Sad

• I had one about a year ago. It was outpatient, done at a local hospital. My DH stayed with me, which was nice. It wasn't pleasant, but wasn't excruciatingly painful either- I was given Darvocet to take about a half hour before the procedure (I don't think this is the norm, and honestly, it didn't help- I think I should have taken it an hour before!). I'd suggest you take some Advil or Motrin (a few more than a normal dose) if your dr doesn't tell you to take something. It basically just felt really pinchy, and I was kind of crampy afterward. But totally worth the piece of mind that my ute and remaining tube were intact and clear!

• I hate to be over here too, but at least I'm in good company!

Ben and I have an IF consult on 3/16 and from what I hear from other patients she will likely send him for an SA, me for an HSG and both of us for bloodwork. It freaks me out, but I am ready for answers. I loved my OB who I saw throughout my pg, but I don't feel like he is being very supportive right now, thus, the appt for a second opinion.

How are things with you?

• imageTonya_G:

I had one about a year ago. It was outpatient, done at a local hospital. My DH stayed with me, which was nice. It wasn't pleasant, but wasn't excruciatingly painful either- I was given Darvocet to take about a half hour before the procedure (I don't think this is the norm, and honestly, it didn't help- I think I should have taken it an hour before!). I'd suggest you take some Advil or Motrin (a few more than a normal dose) if your dr doesn't tell you to take something. It basically just felt really pinchy, and I was kind of crampy afterward. But totally worth the piece of mind that my ute and remaining tube were intact and clear!

Thanks for the info! I bookmarked this post so I can refer back to it.

• imagedoyous&idos:

I hate to be over here too, but at least I'm in good company!

Ben and I have an IF consult on 3/16 and from what I hear from other patients she will likely send him for an SA, me for an HSG and both of us for bloodwork. It freaks me out, but I am ready for answers. I loved my OB who I saw throughout my pg, but I don't feel like he is being very supportive right now, thus, the appt for a second opinion.

How are things with you?

I hope you like your new doctor.  My OB isnt very supportive either.  I have been having "issues" and he doesn't seem very concerned.  He doesn't even want to see me again until September if we haven't conceived again.

• imagedoyous&idos:
    imageTonya_G:

I had one about a year ago. It was outpatient, done at a local hospital. My DH stayed with me, which was nice. It wasn't pleasant, but wasn't excruciatingly painful either- I was given Darvocet to take about a half hour before the procedure (I don't think this is the norm, and honestly, it didn't help- I think I should have taken it an hour before!). I'd suggest you take some Advil or Motrin (a few more than a normal dose) if your dr doesn't tell you to take something. It basically just felt really pinchy, and I was kind of crampy afterward. But totally worth the piece of mind that my ute and remaining tube were intact and clear!

Thanks for the info! I bookmarked this post so I can refer back to it.

No problem! Hope you get good results!

• imageOregonPachey:
    imagedoyous&idos:

I hate to be over here too, but at least I'm in good company!

How are things with you?

I hope you like your new doctor.  My OB isnt very supportive either.  I have been having "issues" and he doesn't seem very concerned.  He doesn't even want to see me again until September if we haven't conceived again.

It took us 14 cycles to get pg, and he said my year of trying before an IF consult started over after our mc. I wasn't too happy. AND I got billed for all kinds of things I never got (pelvic US, pathology, Blood work on days I wasn't even in the office for, etc). I really liked him as an OB, but his office staff really needs to get it together. Plus, I always saw a PA, which didn't make me happy. They played the messenger, and I feel like a lot got lost in translation. 

• I had one earlier this month. Mine was done at the hospital in an x-ray room, my dh had to wait outside. The Dr and 2 x-ray techs were in the room. They had me change into a gown then lay on the xray table with my bum propped up on a wedge pillow. The Dr put my legs in long booties to keep the area as sterile as possible. The x ray machine was above me centered over my abdomen. The Dr. sprayed some freezing on my cervix before she attached a small clamp for counter traction. Then the dye was squirted inside while the x ray tech ran the x ray machine so the Dr could watch the dye on the screen in real time. She had to do 2 rounds of dye to be sure everything was clear.

The procedure was really uncomfortable, I normally have pretty severe menstrual cramps and the feeling was pretty much like really really severe cramps, they don't last long. I laid there and moaned and concentrated on breathing. I was crampy for about an hour after but the worst was over within about a minute.

If I can help you more just let me know.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Did you need someone to drive you home, wewill?
  • The experience will vary from person to person -- mine was pretty painful.  I received a good result, but when they shot the dye in I felt like I had been punched in the stomach.  I had pretty severe nausea and cramping and spotting for the next two days.

If they offer you any pain medication beforehand, don't turn it down.

• Yes, definitely. I couldn't even walk to the car. It probably varies from person to person. I read online afterwards that some places recommend you take advil beforehand and I wish I had known that I'm not sure it would have made a difference but I would have tried.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did -- take a pain pill 1/2 hour or so before -- it will help. I found it pretty uncomfortable during the procedure - just felt like a lot of pressure -- but not painful. I was very tired after though, and a bit sore for next day. best wishes.
    m/c#1 07/16/08 (11 weeks), m/c#2 10/10/08 (8 weeks). and then nothing since except every test possible (no answers). IUI#1 and #2: BFNs Super lucky to be buddies with Peetie. Our out of nowhere, surprise DD born 5/29/2011
  • sorry, I didn't even answer your questions - mine was outpatient at a radiology clinic. My DH came with me, but didn't go into room with me (which he did for everything during two pg/mcs. . .) this one they asked if he would wait in waiting room, and I was fine with that. all told it was an hour from going in to change clothes to walking out the door.
    m/c#1 07/16/08 (11 weeks), m/c#2 10/10/08 (8 weeks). and then nothing since except every test possible (no answers). IUI#1 and #2: BFNs Super lucky to be buddies with Peetie. Our out of nowhere, surprise DD born 5/29/2011
  • Hi there,

Mine was done in a hospital, my RE peformed it. He prescribed a valium for me so I took that 1/2 hour before the procedure. I also took 800 mg of motrin (as prescribed). The clamp to hold the cervix did pinch a bit, the dye caused cramping but it wasn't too bad. I think if your tubes are blocked it can hurt more but mine were open so it wasn't bad. My dh drove me home b/c I had taken the valium, otherwise I would have been able to drive.

Good luck and fx'ed for clear tubes!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"