Babies on the Brain

vent

I just got an e-mail from one of my sil welcoming a new family member. She's a "foster dog". They'll watch/care for her when she's not with a breeder for the next 2-3 years, and then when she 'retires' she'll be their dog.

Reba is 2 1/2 years old and has given birth to 22 puppies in 2 different litters.

She even gave the website so we could see her puppies...

I suppose it's good, in a way, because maybe the breeder can't afford to care for her, but seriously?  I had hoped they knew better.

Re: vent

• what?!  Right away you know it's not a good breeder.  They don't breed their dogs until they're 2 years old.  At 2.5 she might have had 1 litter already... maybe.  Definitely not 2.
  • I would report her to the AKC and any other breeding organizations the breeder claims to be a part of. That is borderline cruelty to the animal (at the very least it's medically risky).

Additionally, I'd check into local pet ownership laws and see if the breeder has violated any of those. 

That's a horrible, HORRIBLE way to treat a dog.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepixy_stix:
    what?!  Right away you know it's not a good breeder.  They don't breed their dogs until they're 2 years old.  At 2.5 she might have had 1 litter already... maybe.  Definitely not 2.

exactly this

• imagepixy_stix:
    what?!  Right away you know it's not a good breeder.  They don't breed their dogs until they're 2 years old.  At 2.5 she might have had 1 litter already... maybe.  Definitely not 2.

Awww..poor Reba.  I hate hearing how animals are mistreated.  22 pups is ALOT for being 2.5 years old. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker M/C #1 - BFP 12/28/2008. Confirmed m/c at 6wks - blighted ovum on 1/9/2009. M/C #2 - BFP 6/16/2009. Confirmed m/c at 7wks - blighted ovum on 7/1/2009.
  • imageMagic Ball:

imagepixy_stix:

exactly this

I agree with this too. From what I've read, most dogs that have that large of a litter the first time around will often be spayed early (like after a litter or two), because litters that large cause complications for the dog . I can't believe that poor dog has had 22 puppies in two years and the breeder plans on breeding her again-- multiple times, even. Angry

• 22 puppies....in two litters...holy cow. Poor Dog!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"