Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

So it was fate i guess, Carson came down with the stomach flu!  We were on our way home from Target, he starts coughing which was fine b/c he is on the tail end of a cold with and has had a wet cough from congestion.  Well he starts to gag and his face turns red and boom full on vomit!  I mean VOMIT!  he has never been sick puke like that.  so needless to say i pull over b/c he is choking on it being strapped into the carseat and not able to lean forward, get him out of the seat and there we are puking in a parking lot in the freezing cold weather and he is crying upset.  i fly home when he is done and put both of us in the shower b/c i have puke on me and it is all over him.  i call dh to come home (he was working out) and it took him an hour to clean out my car.  so i wait to give any water.  after 45 mins he pukes again (this time we make it in the trash can).  this time was very minimal and nothing like the first time.  so i call the ped, pull out my Toddler 411 wait another hour and we give him 1tsp of water.  then 20 min later we do another teaspoon of water.  15 mins later i give him 2tsps of water.  15 mins later i give him 1 ounce of water.  10 mins later he pukes up the water, just water.  should i not give him anything more and put him to bed?  he is happy inbetween puking but cuddly.  i can tell he doesn't feel good.  he is not running a temp.  after he goes to bed dh is running out to get pediaylte and pedilyte popsiciles for tomorrow.  any advice?!

Re: HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

You're doing the right thing. Water/gatorade at least try to give him sips so that if he throws up at least there is something there TO throw up, KWIM?

Hope he feels better!!!!

• Options

Honestly I know they recommend withholding water and only giving it in teaspoons, but dry heaving and puking up bits of water is really painful. I'd  much rather throw up something in my stomach rather than just bile. I found from last time I had the stomach flu that bananas are not bad to throw up and they kill that awful taste. I allowed Jack to eat when he had the stomach flu. I limited it to Pedialyte which he hated since he doesn't even drink juice, bananas, cheerios, and some saltines. I held all dairy.

I really hope your little one feels better soon!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

when DD had the stomach flu, the pedi told me to nurse her (she was 5 months at the time), very frequently in small amounts.

Also think about giving him probiotics, which will help regulate his body.  You can give them in water and get them at a health food store.

• Options

Oh honey I am so sorry!  Please give him a big hug for Paige and I! 

When Paige got sick here is how it happened - we just came in out of the car THANK GOD!  Can't imagine what your car was like - sorry about that as well!  She never had diahrrea which is what causes dehydration -so I am told.  She threw up around 6:00.  We tried to give her water and she kept throwing it up.  We could not get her to puke in a trash can so we used a big bath towel. I stopped giving her water because she kept getting sick.  I gave her bath and that seemed to make her feel a little better.  I put her to bed and she slept the whole night and never got sick again.  The next morning I gave her some water and she kept that down so I gave her some saltines.  She lived on water and saltines for a couple days!  GL!  Paige did NOT like pedalyte!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagejessicada76:

Oh honey I am so sorry!  Please give him a big hug for Paige and I! 

When Paige got sick here is how it happened - we just came in out of the car THANK GOD!  Can't imagine what your car was like - sorry about that as well!  She never had diahrrea which is what causes dehydration -so I am told.  She threw up around 6:00.  We tried to give her water and she kept throwing it up.  We could not get her to puke in a trash can so we used a big bath towel. I stopped giving her water because she kept getting sick.  I gave her bath and that seemed to make her feel a little better.  I put her to bed and she slept the whole night and never got sick again.  The next morning I gave her some water and she kept that down so I gave her some saltines.  She lived on water and saltines for a couple days!  GL!  Paige did NOT like pedalyte!

thanks!  i quit with the water.  i just put him to bed.  i am just nervous of him puking in the middle of the night.  i have tried pedialyte on him when he was about 7 months with an ear infection b/c he did not want to drink he formula.  i figured tomorrow we might try the popsicles.  i feel like i know everything to do but when it actually happens you start to question what you are doing, kwim?  yeh, the 2nd time he puked it was like he was finishing off what was in his belly and the 3rd time was just water, that is why i stopped and put him to bed.  now i am nervous to eat anything big myself.  i just know i am going to get it.  i even brought home work over the weekend b/c i had a very strong feeling this was going to happen!  he was around it all last week between my sil and daycare so it was bound to happen.  thanks for the advice though.  good thing about it is stomach flus normally come on strong and fast and only last a day or two.  atleast this is what am i seeing with this stomach bug.  sil already feels a ton better and she had it on thrusday.

• Options

Yeah it was less than 24 hours for us - but after the vomitting came BODY ACHES!!!!!!!!!!!  I gave Paige motrin because I know how bad I hurt and I can't even imagine what her little body was going through.  It took her a good two weeks to be back to normal - like appetite wise.  She got sick on a Thursday and I did not give her milk till Tuesday!  I would not give him milk at all tomorrow!!!!!!!!  Good luck girl!  I hope you don't get it but I know how it went through our house!  I lysoled and we all still got it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So sorry!  Hope he is well soon and that you don't get it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"