Preemies

48+ hours and no poop! (TMI?)

We started DS on solids 2 weeks ago.  A week of rice, a week of oatmeal, and then I gave him barley this morning.  He was regular on the rice but the oatmeal really seemed to change his poop...thick and sticky.  He hadn't pooped since Wednesday morning and last night he was whining and grunting!  I called the nurse this morning and she said we could give him up to 2 oz. of water a day and we should go back to the rice cereal for a week until he is regular again.  She also said that we could try a glycerin suppository.  I tried the water, he hated it!  So I did the suppository and within 10 minutes he had a HUGE poop.  He was crying in pain the whole time he was going...poor kid!  I was just wondering if any of you experienced this when you started solids.  I really don't want him to be uncomfortable every time he goes to the bathroom!  Any suggestions you have would be great too!  Thanks!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
IVF 1=BFP, beta #1 8dp5dt 24, beta #2 12dp5dt 50, beta #3 14dp5dt 88.9
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Weishaars' World

Re: 48+ hours and no poop! (TMI?)

• ya know you can jump right to veggies and fruit right? i mean not all at once. one new one every three days. if i were you id go to prunes. we tried the rice and my son hated it. so we went to bananas and then other fruit and veggies. or you can add in the rice/oatmeal into fruit and veggies.

Rowen Alexander born 10 weeks early 1/28/07

www.4wquestions.blogspot.com
  • We had that problem when we started rice cereal. After a week of him pooping every 72 hours, the pedi said to start veggies (more fiber). That helped and now he goes 1-2 times every day. We also do water but he will only take it when he's hungry for a bottle (I give the water before the bottle).
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies!  Good tips!  I will try a fruit or vegi at the next meal!  I knew I could count on my preemie mommies!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    IVF 1=BFP, beta #1 8dp5dt 24, beta #2 12dp5dt 50, beta #3 14dp5dt 88.9
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Weishaars' World
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"