North Carolina Babies
Options

Sippy cup question

So I've been giving Maddie water/juice every day after her solids per the pedi's recommendation to help with her constipation. I let her feed herself with this trainer cup b/c it came with a bottle set we got at her baby shower.

What's the difference between this and a sippy cup? She drinks from this one just fine, should I try a real sippy for her water/juice each day? I'm hoping she likes other brands too b/c those Born Free ones are super expensive!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sippy cup question

• Options
    We have that one, and I thought it was a sippy cup?  LOL!  What is the difference?  That's great that Maddie drinks from it already!  I still can't get Liam to drink from his.  It seems like you have to tip it soooo high to get water through the spout.
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If she likes that one, she'd probably do well with the soft spout Nuby.  It's a little less bottle and more sippy than the one you're using, but still a good transition cup.  The idea is of course to get them on a hard spout sippy eventually.  And the Nuby is much cheaper!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

IMO sippy cups are trainer cups. ?They are training the baby to use a cup and eventually use a real cup.

I went through a ton of different ones before we eventually found ones that DD likes. ?The Nuby ones worked well for us. ?I would try to find something as?similar?in structure as you can (i.e. spout softness, handles, valve or no valve, etc.) if you want to try some other ones.?

• Options

Thanks ladies! At first I thought it was a sippy cup, but then I noticed Born Free also makes a "drinking cup" so I thought maybe I was wrong. I will try some other similar brands!

She still doesn't understand tipping, so she has to be laying flat to drink it by herself, but she looooves that cup and gets excited when I give it to her.

I wish she'd just drink plain water, but she wrinkles her nose and throws the bottle down whenever I try that, lol.

• Options
    One more question- what exactly does the valve do?
  • Options

The valve limits the flow of the liquid so that they have to suck to get it out and most of them make it spill proof as well.

DD could never do a valve (she hated every cup I tried with one), so we used all valveless cups on her.?

• Options
    I think the valve keeps water from just pouring out freely when they tip it up.  Liam likes to wave his around and fling it, so it would be a huuuuge mess without a valve! :)
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ok, that makes sense! In that case I'm glad she does ok with a valve, lol. I bet that would be a huge mess.
  • Options
    There are also cups that don't have valves, but are still spill-proof.  The Nubys we use don't have valves, and don't spill.  We really like those, because I hate having to keep up with the valves, and DH forgets to put them on sometimes.  DS does ok either way, it's mostly for my convenience.

• Options

imagemrsmikey:
    There are also cups that don't have valves, but are still spill-proof.  The Nubys we use don't have valves, and don't spill.  We really like those, because I hate having to keep up with the valves, and DH forgets to put them on sometimes.  DS does ok either way, it's mostly for my convenience.

I prefer valved cups for DS... with the Nuby cups, he will get a full mouth of water and spit it out.  Confused  He doesn't do that with our Avent cups with the valves for some reason (I think b/c it's harder to get the water out).  I do agree that the valves are a pain though.  DH doesn't seem to remember to put the valves back on there either.

Like everything else in the world of babies, cup preference seems to vary widely depending on the baby & the family.

• Options
    imageECUGirl2004:

Like everything else in the world of babies, cup preference seems to vary widely depending on the baby & the family.

Amen!  But wouldn't it be so much easier if it did?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"