Special Needs
Options

Got speech and psyhological evaluations back .

and I am confused. It was done by the state to determine if my ds is eligible for special education services. He has an obvious speech delay, his receptive was at the level of a 20 month old and expressive was at the level of a 26 month old. He is currently 34 months old.

They also deemed him eligible for services under the autism dx. Although, they did say it appeared it was Aspergers vs. a high functioning autistic dx. In that part of the diagnosis it stated " no obvious speech delays." As I know most Aspie kids typically don't have speech delays. But it is obvious from his speech evaluation that he was?

I am so confused. We are going to a developmental pediatrician/ psychologist group next week for a second opinion. He is also getting evaluated by their speech therapist as well.

Re: Got speech and psyhological evaluations back .

• Options

Thanks auntie for your response. I was hoping to hear from you. I did not know about the term "aspie" and how it can be perceived, thanks for the heads up. I heard it somewhere and I guess I didn't realize it could be offensive.

I am glad that he was deemed eligible for services under the autism dx, the more help we can get, the better. I am looking forward to seeing what the dev ped and psych have to say about it.

• Options

I'm glad Auntie responded to you b/c I don't really have anything to add to that. However, I just wanted to say congrats for getting through that first eval. I'm so glad you're getting to the Devel. Pedi next week. 

Stop. Breathe. Give yourself a little pat on the back - or a Starbucks, whichever you like better ;)

Now, just remember that in the midst of all this confusion and 'professionals' evaluating your child and assigning labels and levels of competency etc... that your child is still 100% your child and not a summation of his labels. What you thought before is STILL true - don't let them make you question yourself. It's all for the services~

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"