Secondary IF
Options

anyone familiar with Lovenox?

I know this is most likely a shot in the dark...but if anyone is familiar with Lovenox could you fill me in on the nasty details.  My doc wants to put me on it like yesterday, but i am really heistant.

I am almost 12 weeks pregnant (with #2) but it's my 6th pregnancy.

Alyssa (11/06) Emily (8/9) Julia (2/11)

Re: anyone familiar with Lovenox?

• Options
    I dd my post because I realized my info wasn't really helpful. I don't know anything about Lovenox for sustaining pregnancy, only for the risk of blood clot which I don't think is the reason your dr wants you to take it, right?
  • Options

Lovenox is low molecular weight heparin.  It is an anti-coagulant, which means its purpose is to help prevent blood clots.  These clots, often call a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) can form in the legs and then break off and go to the lungs, where they impede blood flow.  I give this medication to many of my bedridden or post-surgical patients to help prevent a DVT (I'm a nurse).

Do you have a condition, such as an artificial heart valve or clotting disorder that might require you to be on an anti-coagulant?  My only concern would be that Lovenox hasn't been investigated extensively in randomized controlled research studies.  It is currently listed as a pregnancy risk category B drug.  This could mean one of two things.  It has either been investigated in animal studies and shown no harm to the fetus.  Or, it showed harm to animal fetuses, but in human studies showed no harm to the fetus. 

I do not work in OBGYN, but I researched it real quick on our databases.  There have been a few small studies prescribing about 60mg of Lovenox to pregnant women who had clotting disorders leading to miscarriages.  The studies showed no adverse effects from the drug.  Additionally, from anecdotal research, it appears many REs are currently prescribing for the same reasons. 

Without further information (such as why you were prescribed this), it is hard to say if I would take it.  However, I do not believe that a doctor would put you on this drug without fully considering the impact.  Good luck.  I hope this helps.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've been on Lovenox since I was about 11 weeks pregnant.  I found out that I have a clotting disorder after getting 2 blood clots in my leg.  It is safe during pregnancy, but I am monitored more frequently.  I started weekly appts at 28 weeks and I will be induced at 38 weeks.  (I'm at a higher risk of IUGR) 

At 36 weeks, I will be put on heparin (2x/day vs 1x/day with the lovenox), as the effects are "reversible" (with another medication) if I would go into labor and would want an epi.  With lovenox, there isn't a medication to do this yet, so I would have to wait at least 24 hrs after my last injection for an epi. 

They shots are annoying and sometimes hurt.  I have bruises all over my belly and legs.  But in the grand scheme of things, its really not that bad.  My baby is healthy and growing, which probably wound't be the case if I hadn't started the injections. 

• Options
    *Sorry...I meant to say that Lovenox hasn't been extensively investigated in a lot of trials for pregnant women.*
  • Options

thanks ladies.  your information is helpful.  Part of the reason I am so hesitant to go on it is because noone has told me the reason I am going on it.  I do not have any clotting disorder.  I have had 4 m/c and the doctors feel that there is not much else they can do so they want to do something and this 'might' help.  To me that is not reason enough to give daily injections to myself.

all of my m/c have been at the 8 week mark - seeings how i am now almost 12 complete weeks i feel even more like this is a waste.  i am trying to justify it to myself either way.  I just have to stand up to the doctors and tell them why I choose to do whatever it is that i will do. 

Alyssa (11/06) Emily (8/9) Julia (2/11)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"