Babies: 9 - 12 Months

fever of 102.5, no hosptial visit?

I talked to the on call nurse earlier today and she said to give tylenol and call back if DD's fever got to 102. DH just took her temp again and it was 102.52. It's afterhours now, so I talked to someone else. She said to call back at 104, if she has difficulty breathing, develops a rash, starts vomiting or stops eating/peeing. They're pretty sure it's a virus (it's been going around and DH and I both had it recently.)

But 102.5 seems really high to not be doing anything else. Anyone else have a DC with a temp that high? Did you get the same kind of advice? We just gave her another dose of tylenol (her last one was 6 hours ago) but both times she gagged and then threw up a ton when we gave it.

I'm so bad at this sick baby thing. I'm freaking out. :(

Re: fever of 102.5, no hosptial visit?

• they make tylenol suppositories if she's throwing it up. ?and you can try a cool bath to help ease her fever. ?good luck and i hope she feels better!
  • When my baby had a fever of 103 and vomiting after hours I took him to the ER at the children's hospital.  He had the flu.  Apparently babies run high fevers.  I was terrified and was hapy for the peace of mine.  I hope your LO is feeling better soon.  If your child is over 6 months you can give them children's motrin.  We alternated baby tylenol and motrin every 3 hours until the fever broke.  Cool baths and having him wear just a diaper while I sponged him off also helped break the fever.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried giving her a cool bath? Thats what we were told to do. My DS had a temp of 101.1 a few weeks ago, and we freaked out and went ot the ER. They told us the same thing the Afterhours clinic told us 2 days before, suck his nose out, elevate, and tylenol.

And if its a virus not much you could do anyway. Sorry, I know this probably doesn't help much.

I will kick cancer's ass Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Dx Breast Cancer 4/2012 Invasive ductal carcinoma triple negative Currently on Taxol, start A & C in August
  • My doctor always says that 104 is ER time. Also, it's more to do with how their acting. Is she eating and playing? A lukewarm bath should help, but if that and the Tylenol doesn't bring it down in a few hours, I'd probably be tempted to go the ER.
  • DS had 103 when he was 9 months, advice nurse said to head to the ER at 105.  It really freaked me out even think of letting it get that high.  We gave Tylenol and cool bath it dropped pretty quick.  He had roseolla
  • Babies run higher fevers than adults.  102.5 would be really bad news in an adult, but in a baby it's a fairly mild fever.  I agree with the on-call doc; at 104 I'd definitely go to the ER.  In the meantime, I'd try tylenol and a cool bath.
  • I'd be cautious about giving a cool bath.  Try lukewarm.  Too cool can shock a feverish baby, as can an alcohol wipe down.  I know it's scary but a fever is a good thing- it means the body is working as it's supposed to to throw off the illness.

Anyway, just keep an eye on the poor little girl and alternate Tylenol and Motrin suppositories since she's vomiting.  You can give a dose of one or the other every 3 hours.

• imageBuckets of Moonbeams:

I'd be cautious about giving a cool bath.  Try lukewarm.  Too cool can shock a feverish baby, as can an alcohol wipe down.  I know it's scary but a fever is a good thing- it means the body is working as it's supposed to to throw off the illness.

Anyway, just keep an eye on the poor little girl and alternate Tylenol and Motrin suppositories since she's vomiting.  You can give a dose of one or the other every 3 hours.

Ditto this. And also, I think that my pedi's rule for the ER is above 104. If I took DS to the ER when his fever was above 102.5 he would've gone many times already. 

Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"