Pregnant after 35
Options

Is anyone getting an amnio?

Since I am "Advanced Maternal Age" I know they will be suggesting getting an amnio.  If you decide to get one, when do they usually do it?  How far along?  Thanks!
Baby #1: 19 cycles, failed IUI, and 1 + IVF 3-5-07
Baby #2: 12 cycles, 1 failed FET, natural miracle but m/c at 9 weeks then another natural miracle that stuck! 9-30-09

TTC #3 - 4 cycles - no BFP yet!

Re: Is anyone getting an amnio?

• Options

Actually, my practice does not suggest the amnio, unless you have an NT with concerning results.  I would schedule the NT as early as you can, then you would have the option of a CVS, is essentially the same from both a results perspective and a risk perspective, but can be done prior to 14 weeks.  My NT was 1 in 3 for a defect, fortunately, my CVS came back with good results, lowering my risk to about 1 in 5 for a defect and further test (ultrasounds at various phases of development) ruled out most of that risk. 

If I could have done anything differently, I would have had the NT earlier.  I had it at 13 week, and if something had been wrong, it would have been nice to have more time.  If I had another child I would have it at 9 weeks, as soon as they let you. 

• Options
    My ob/gyn office recommends an amnio to all women of AMA but I won't get one unless my NT and b/w results are scary. I subscribe to the "less is more" theory.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had two (one for each son.)  Both were done when I was 15 weeks along. 
  • Options
    I decided to have one as we want to know for sure if there are any issues. Mine will be next week (at 17 weeks).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Like the other girls said, I think common practice now is to only suggest an amnio if the NT Scan goes badly.
  • Options

My SIL keeps asking me when I'm having mine.

I'm not.

The decision was based on my NT scan and the AFP results. My doctor doesn't necessarily recommend pregnant women of AMA (I'll be 39 in early April) get amnios. They give you the option, after you've had the NT scan.

As for Amnio vs. CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling, I believe) the risk of miscarriage is slightly higher for a CVS in most areas but it can be done earlier, when a termination can be done before anyone knows about the pregnancy. 

I know a lot of women who had the Amnio with no ill effects (and the SIL who asks me about the amnio had a CVS at age 35). It needs to be YOUR decision and it IS the only way (besides CVS) to be 100% sure your baby does not have chromosomal abnormalities.

And amnios are generally done between 16-18 weeks.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    My results were pretty good & I decided not to do amnio.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm not because I'm having twins.  I guess the risk for miscarriage increases to 50%  that's just too high.  All other tests have been fine though.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We are most likely getting amnio.  The chances at our age is more (1 in 300) of having defects than of the danger with amnio (1 in 1000 I think?).  We want to be sure our baby is healthy so are going to do amnio.  My doc recommends it since it's our first (and I'm over 35).  We are going with her recommendations regardless of how our blood tests turn out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"